Wind Barrier Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naturallight0

Reaction score
I Live in NE Ohio, built a house on an open 10 acre field. I have a constant prevailing wind that gets much worse in the winter and spring. The area is well drained and is mostly clay soil.... many years ago this was a patatoe farm for a chip maker. My question is, what can I plant that will be moderate in speed of growth and sturdy enough to tolerate the wind and sun. I'm attempting to achieve somewhat of a wind break as well as a sun diffuser in the summer months.
I spoke with the people at the county soil and conservation office, they leaned heavily towards Hybrid Poplars.... from what I've read here though that doesn't seem to be the best option.

Thanks

AC:

blob3:

If it is a winter wind you want to control evergreens are the way to go. Upright junpers in a straggered row, or maybe arborvitae.

There are a number of spruce that could be used too, but they will thend to thin out at the base over time and lose their effectiveness.

One adveantage to hybrid poplar is that it grows fast and sprouts from the roots. One can cut the larger trees down and allow the sprouts to take over. This could be done with basswood and a number of other trees that sprout from the base readily. The practice is called coppicing, old as the hills.

This government site notes each speicies ability to sprout from a stump.

I agree with the evergreens mentioned if winter wind is a big concern. Distance from the structure to be shielded from wind matters as well as density of the barrier. Too close or too far from the structure and the wind either does'nt get deflected in time to do much good or comes back down kind of like water flowing over the edge of a sink. You want to deflect it up & over your target structure. There's a formula for all this in one of my books, I'll look for it. Your local County Extension agent may be a good source of this kind of info also. They planted miles of wildbreaks during Dust Bowl days.

Latest posts

Back