wind in the willows: a blowdown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went over yesterday to see if my neighbor had any damage from a microburst storm we had on Tuesday. He said he thought there might be a few willow branches on some of his apple trees and that he'd spent the day cleaning up around the area. He's 84 years old and a good friend so I help whenever I can. I walked out back to take a look and found this:
View attachment 296818
Back to the house to get the camera and something for scale. The surveying rod is 10' to the top. The crater is about 2' deep.
View attachment 296823
4' rod and some of the trunk is in the mud. The canopy is smothering 4 or 5 apple trees.
I'll start with the lopping shears to get the stuff off of the apples, they're the priority. But I have no experience with willows and I'm thinking this won't be fun. Alternately springy and brittle from what I hear. Any suggestions?

That rootball is leaning and is gonna flop back over as soon as enough weight is off the tree. Best on blowdowns is get trunk separated from rootball first..CAREFULLY. Easy to get pinched on those cuts, too, I cut like V shaped notches and watch for movement. Just like felling, but, the tree is sideways, with still a lot of weight and gravity involved.

If you want, you could cut some logs and prop that up first, then rope them out later and let it flop back down. I started doing that last summer, works well.

I undercut, then V notch easy like down to it. Dont want the saw pinched or go airborne with the trunk.

Same deal with those big branches to get them down.

The tree climber guys here can describe those cuts better than I can.

Flop that trunk back down in that mudhole and she'll resprout you some new trees :msp_thumbup:

I saw your local, I had family in Geneva for decades. There do seem to be alot of willows in that area, especially around the lake.

Last edited:
It doesn't look like it but that is a VERY dangerous tree to cut if you don't know what you are doing. I would get a pro to cut the trunk and then you can safely take over.

Be careful if you plan to take this tree on yourself. Storm damage trees are not fun the amount of pressure points and other hidden dangers increase ten fold. I have worked two hurricans and one straight winds work and never want to see that work ever again. Several suggestions would be to study the tree for a while look at from several angles and take your time you might have to cut a little on one side then walk around to the other side. Also a power pruner with a telescoping pole is your best friend. It keeps you out of the snap points and lets you get the stuff above your head. Have someone with you to watch the tree and only one person cutting at a time. Biggest thing is take your time and always have a exit and I know I don't wear ear protection doing this just so I can hear a warning or if the tree starts to get funky. Good luck and if you are in doubt hire someone it's better to spend some money then be dead or seriously hurt.

Thanks to all for your responses.
I knew when I saw this thing that I was going to leave the trunk alone. It poses no danger just sitting where it is and it'll likely rot before I want it for firewood.
I'm headed out now with the loppers and the tractor to try and get all the crap away from the apple trees. My plan is to work my way in from the top end and to never have any part of that tree behind me. When I get the area around the apples cleaned up I'll take another look at some of the larger branches and give it another thought.
Maybe if I'm able to top it as it lies and get rid of the canopy weight it'll just stand up on its own and keep on growing.:clap:
BTW my neighbor's wife planted that willow as part of a row of about 15 or so on the border of their property about thirty years ago. It's the last one in the row. Stan hasn't told her yet. She's Japanese, 86 years old, and a Nagasaki survivor.
I'll get some more pics.

Don't forget to clear an escape route and working area. That's important to do when bucking blowdowns.

I can't tell where the compression and tension are from looking at pictures, but I agree with Zogger that you need to cut at stump level--close to the rootwad first to get it stabilized. Compression is where the saw is likely to get in a bind, and tension is where the log may pop up in your face. Use a long bar and the latter is more survivable.

I knew when I saw this thing that I was going to leave the trunk alone. It poses no danger just sitting where it is and it'll likely rot before I want it for firewood.
I'm headed out now with the loppers and the tractor to try and get all the crap away from the apple trees. My plan is to work my way in from the top end and to never have any part of that tree behind me. When I get the area around the apples cleaned up I'll take another look at some of the larger branches and give it another thought.
Maybe if I'm able to top it as it lies and get rid of the canopy weight it'll just stand up on its own and keep on growing.:clap:
BTW my neighbor's wife planted that willow as part of a row of about 15 or so on the border of their property about thirty years ago. It's the last one in the row. Stan hasn't told her yet. She's Japanese, 86 years old, and a Nagasaki survivor.
I'll get some more pics.

That is my approach to all trees. Start at top, work down and nothing behind me. Even when cutting a prop limb it can be done so nothing can hit me. Last thing I would try would be tocut the stump loose.

Harry K

I'll get some more pics.

I bet you could trim it and get it to stand back up. Might need a tug from the tractor if most of the weight is still on the tree.

That was mostly a joke about having it stand back up. But now I'm thinking about it.
The very top of the tree is laying on the apple trees. I'll cut that stuff back and try to keep some live branches intact. Some very careful pruning of the canopy to lessen the top weight and a good pull from a hefty tractor and it might go back up.
Am I being stupid here?

What you said Zogger. Just got me thinking. Note to self: think before you post.:msp_unsure:

What you said Zogger. Just got me thinking. Note to self: think before you post.:msp_unsure:

It's doable with enough tractor and take some weight off the tree top. Just think about rope placement and where it will be when it stands back up.

And I wouldnt worry about willow regrowing, it is hard to kill them suckers. Cut green chunks dropped in the mud will sprout new trees.

Latest posts

Back