wind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing to think about when you're cutting in windy conditions...a barber chair that doesn't kick straight back but slabs off at an angle. When they happen they happen in a split second. If it slabs toward you, you're toast. If it slabs away from you the top end can tear loose and come straight down on you.

There can be defects inside the tree that are impossible to read from the outside. The tree is moving more than you think in the wind and the movement stresses the defects. A barber chair doesn't always make a simple break either, sometimes they'll shatter in more than one place or break the top out of the tree and send it down toward you. Unless you happen to be looking up when a top breaks out you won't know what hit you. They fall almost silently.

Wedges and fancy cuts can help narrow the margin of error...they're good tools. But they won't save you if a big gust hits at the wrong angle, the hinge tears, and the tree goes sideways or backwards at you.

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/182831.htm There's some good information in this thread from people who fall timber every day.

Above is what comes from doing--as a living or solid experience; both suffice to know how.

Now, what follows unfortunately is basic SFB ( PM for explanation Bob). The boy blows good advice by extreme BS. In fact it came from a tiny insect bite ( like Spiderman--except it went in reverse.:spiderman: )

You guys that aren't cutting for a living have nothing to prove. You won't get fired if you leave the tree for another day and your reputation won't suffer. You don't need to cut in windy conditions. But...if your balls are bigger than your brain and if you feel the need to validate your manhood by doing something incredibly stupid so you can brag about it later, go ahead and take a chance. The tree doesn't care if it kills you or not.

SFB Bob. In fact my balls are bigger. They are so big ..................Thanks. As for the brain, well. :msp_w00t:

Why do you have this thing about manhood ? Bobby Doth protest too much like the little boy farting in class who asks: "who farted" .:hmm3grin2orange:
Some of us don need to prove nothing. We've done it , are doing it. What EXACTLY do you do every day for a living besides play Sigmund Macho here ?

Many have learned a trade through hard knocks, experience, mentors, or even, even going to programs that teach new skills. Shall we now dance around your fear of boring as a technique in a skill bag of tricks ?

Hey, Happy Halloween Bob. Hope you're recovering . How about getting off the high horse ?:tire:

I cut in woods only. Because of that I worry about getting impaled by falling branches so if it's windy me and mine stay out of the woods. The only exception I've made over the years is if the wind is favorable to an otherwise difficult or close to impossible take.

If you're looking for a specific number, like a 10mph wind...I dunno. But I know it when I see it.

SFB Bob. In fact my balls are bigger. They are so big ..................Thanks. As for the brain, well. :msp_w00t:

Why do you have this thing about manhood ? Bobby Doth protest too much like the little boy farting in class who asks: "who farted" .:hmm3grin2orange:
Some of us don need to prove nothing. We've done it , are doing it. What EXACTLY do you do every day for a living besides play Sigmund Macho here ?

Many have learned a trade through hard knocks, experience, mentors, or even, even going to programs that teach new skills. Shall we now dance around your fear of boring as a technique in a skill bag of tricks ?

Hey, Happy Halloween Bob. Hope you're recovering . How about getting off the high horse ?:tire:

So, logbutcher what factors do you take into consideration on making a judgement to fell or not fell with respect to the wind ?

So, logbutcher what factors do you take into consideration on making a judgement to fell or not fell with respect to the wind ?

Let's take this as a serious request rather than a wise a$$ petty panties pull. OK ?

1. Planning the fall: does this tree need taking down now ?
2. Is the plan ( yes, plan) for the direction and method going to be affected by ANY strong wind over Force 4-5 (PM for explanation)in the canopy ?
3. If a strong eddy ( PM for explanation) could change the drop, is it safe?
4. If I don't feel that it is safe, I walk.

I do not "make a living" in the woodlands. ( And who gives a Foxtrot ? ) I do make pocket change e.g. pulp. We need firewood for 100% wood heating. I am a lowly "homeowner", a "weekend warrior". Are you IFNH a "homeowner", or "homeless" ? :msp_sneaky: However, my felling and harvesting are dead serious....for us. My training, my skills, my positive and negative experience have taught valuable lessons; as in my former career where errors would/will kill.

Now Ifnh, whatya thimk ? Answer your errrrrrr....'question' ?

Let's take this as a serious request rather than a wise a$$ petty panties pull. OK ?

1. Planning the fall: does this tree need taking down now ?
2. Is the plan ( yes, plan) for the direction and method going to be affected by ANY strong wind over Force 4-5 (PM for explanation)in the canopy ?
3. If a strong eddy ( PM for explanation) could change the drop, is it safe?
4. If I don't feel that it is safe, I walk.

I do not "make a living" in the woodlands. ( And who gives a Foxtrot ? ) I do make pocket change e.g. pulp. We need firewood for 100% wood heating. I am a lowly "homeowner", a "weekend warrior". Are you IFNH a "homeowner", or "homeless" ? :msp_sneaky: However, my felling and harvesting are dead serious....for us. My training, my skills, my positive and negative experience have taught valuable lessons; as in my former career where errors would/will kill.

Now Ifnh, whatya thimk ? Answer your errrrrrr....'question' ?

No.
"PM for explanation" - please fill your definition.

One thing I don't understand - what's the purpose of the wedge when doing a bore cut on a forward leaner? Wouldn't it be just fine without the wedge? Am I missing something here?

Assuming the face is correct -

You end up leaving two chunks of wood uncut, the hinge and the piece on the back. Then, by wedging it in the bore cut, you decrease the possibility of it going any way but the way you want it to and also possible pinching the saw on the backcut. By doing it this way, you end up with a lot more control, and less possibility that the tree will settle back, especially if it's a little windy. The downside is that it takes longer to make this cut(usually).

All that being said, I usually notch and drop most trees, without the bore cut. However, I'll bore them if I think there is a possibility of it pinching the saw. Depends on the wind, the weight and the lean of the tree...

One thing I don't understand - what's the purpose of the wedge when doing a bore cut on a forward leaner? Wouldn't it be just fine without the wedge? Am I missing something here?

Yeah, you'd think there would be no need for a wedge... but it seems like every time I don't take the that couple seconds to at least start a wedge or two by hand the tree finds some way to grab the bar, leaner or not. Out of habit now, I just auto-mode stick one in... better safe than sorry.

When I look out my living room window and see the tree tops whipping around like a merry go round I stay out of the woods with a saw. My moto is put off today so you can live a long healthy life, I'll soon be 65.
There will always come other days to fell trees. seems like we have a bunch of them in the months of December to Febuary.

thanks for the replys Ya'll.

:D Al

Feel better now? For all of you who may not know LogButcher...he's the East coast version of HBRN. Don't take him seriously, most of us don't. He's harmless. Noisy, opinionated, not too bright, and given to little hissy fits...but harmless.

I think he wants to be a logger when he grows up.

Last edited:
Feel better now? For all of you who may not know LogButcher...he's the East coast version of HBRN. Don't take him seriously, most of us don't. He's harmless. Noisy, opinionated, not too bright, and given to little hissy fits...but harmless.

I think he wants to be a logger when he grows up.

All true Bobby--noisy, opinionated, not too bright, hissy fits.......AND, and, no balls. Please Mister don't ban me again cause I hurt your feelings. Tell 'em all about it. Please ? Come out of the sandbox Bobby.

So, what do you really do besides whine and put-down ? Really got this thing about OPB ; referrals coming.:hmm3grin2orange:.

P.S. Other People's Balls.

Hey, we could have a conversation about.......boring . Or, maybe all about your injuries. Or how much you know all about logging . We are impressed. Tell all.

Now leat's talk about cutting in high winds. OK ? Deal with some non panty tear issues Bobby.

Last edited:
All true Bobby--noisy, opinionated, not too bright, hissy fits.......AND, and, no balls. Please Mister don't ban me again cause I hurt your feelings. Tell 'em all about it. Please ? Come out of the sandbox Bobby.

So, what do you really do besides whine and put-down ? Really got this thing about OPB ; referrals coming.:hmm3grin2orange:.

P.S. Other People's Balls.

Hey, we could have a conversation about.......boring . Or, maybe all about your injuries. Or how much you know all about logging . We are impressed. Tell all.

Now leat's talk about cutting in high winds. OK ? Deal with some non panty tear issues Bobby.

Now LB, just take a deep breath and calm down. I mean you no harm. The only enemy you have here is yourself.

I wouldn't get you banned...despite a lot of messages and PMs from other members suggesting it. I think it's better to keep you around, just for the entertainment value. Watching you froth at the mouth is always good for a laugh.

Come on up to the Forestry and Logging section and post some more of your great stuff. We were all really impressed the last time you shared your thoughts with us. I don't think most of us had ever seen anybody make such a complete and utter fool out of himself in quite a while. The post where you criticized and belittled one of the best fallers on the Left Coast was a gem. And what about when you described the video of the faller cleaning out the face cut as being a "bore cut"? Man, that was hilarious...we all got a good laugh out of it.

Of course, if you don't want to post in the F&L section we'd understand that maybe, after last time, you're a little gun shy. Your choice entirely.

Yep. for me it depends on if it is workign for me or against me. I will pass on a tree with a slight breeze against me if I haven't got some good lean or top weight working with me. I will alos wait for a day with the wind in the right direction to fall a 'problematic tree'.

Harry K

This is downright hilarious:

I got neg repped from Oly on this and his comment was "crybaby".

Anybody got a decoder rignt that works on Oly language?

Harry K

Latest posts

Back