Winter heat crisis looms, little relief seen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutitup

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On one hand I feel bad. On the other I feel really good!

Winter heat crisis looms, little relief seen
High fuel prices and the weak economy could make heating a luxury this winter. And the government's low-income assistance plan may not suffice.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Home heating bills are expected to rise dramatically this winter and there is growing concern that the government program aimed at helping poor families cope with energy costs may not be able to meet the needs of cash-strapped households.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally funded program that gives money to states to help low-income households, the elderly and the disabled cope with the financial strain of high heating bills.
This year, however, the program could be squeezed by a projected 20% average increase in heating bills nationwide and an influx of people applying for assistance due to sour economic conditions, high gas prices and a weak labor market.
"This could be the worst winter ever for low-income folks," said Jerry McKim, who oversees Iowa's LIHEAP program for the state's Bureau of Energy Assistance.
While heating oil and natural gas prices have fallen from recent highs, they remain well above last year's level and still pose a significant threat to poor and fixed-income Americans.
"Anything over $2.50 a gallon for low-income family is a budget buster," said Richard Moffi, who manages Vermont's LIHEAP program.
Heating oil prices are expected to reach $4.34 a gallon nationwide this winter, according to estimates from the Energy Information Administration.
A growing number of families in need: In addition to the run-up in fuel prices, the slowdown in the economy has led to an increase in the number of households that qualify for assistance.
In Vermont, there has been a 20% rise in the number of people applying for LIHEAP benefits, Moffi said. With a larger number of people to assist, many LIHEAP programs could be forced to reduce the amount of money they provide to eligible households.
Although some states contribute to the fund, the bulk of the money for LIHEAP is provided by the Federal government.
Moffi said Vermont's LIHEAP was able to provide an average benefit of $1,362 last year, which covered roughly 54% of an average household's heating costs for the year. This year, based on current numbers with no additional money from Washington, the average benefit will be less than half last year's amount.
What's more, many low-income families are still behind on payments for last year's heating bills.
Facing a cold winter: The National Energy Assistance Director's Association (NEADA) recently reported that more than 15 million households are currently facing utility shutoffs because they can not pay their energy bill. That's an increase of nearly 10% over the comparable period in 2007.
Mark Wolfe, executive director of the NEADA, said that low-income energy assistance programs usually focus on families that make roughly $31,000 a year. Now, more middle-class families, including those that earn up to $50,000 a year, could be in need of assistance, he added.
"The real tragic thing is that there's not much out there for the lower side of middle income," said David Fox, executive director of the National Low Income Energy Consortium. "And that's most of America right now."
To cope with higher energy prices, many low-income households have cut back on other essential expenditures.
A recent survey by the NEADA showed that 70% of low-income households said they reduced spending on food as a result of high energy and gas costs. That was followed by 31% that said they have cut back on purchases of medicine and 19% that curtailed spending on education.
Some families are even considering moving in with relatives to cope with the cost of heating, Wolfe said. "These are things we haven't seen since the Depression era," he said.
But before resorting to such drastic measures, consumers should contact their heating oil supplier or local utility to discuss their options, said John Maniscaoco, executive vice president of the New York Oil Heat Association.
"Suppliers will try to make amends," Maniscaoco said. "Nobody wants to shut off anybody," he said.
Many utilities offer payment programs aimed at softening the blow of high energy prices. And heating oil prices vary from dealer to dealer, which means households may have some bargaining power.
While lawmakers have expressed concern over the issue, Congress has yet to make a decision on how much money will be dedicated to the program, which has prompted some concern among state LIHEAP managers.
"We can only count on less federal dollars," McKim said.
LIHEAP's budget for fiscal year 2008, which ends in September, was almost $2.57 billion in federal dollars. For fiscal year 2009, President Bush has issued a budget request of $2 billion for the program, which is a decrease of 22%.
Senate Democrats made a push in July to provide additional funding for LIHEAP but Republicans opposed the bill because it did not include provisions for increased offshore drilling and it failed to pass.
A spokesman for Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who sponsored the bill in July, said expanding LIHEAP's budget is a "top priority" for the Senator and that the issue will be revisited when Congress returns from recess next month.
Other lawmakers have hinted that additional LIHEAP funding could come this year as part of a second economic stimulus program.
The issue of home heating assistance has "a lot of bipartisan support," Wolfe said. And he is cautiously optimistic that Congress will ultimately come through with additional funding as the public becomes more aware of this "potentially very serious problem."
The question is: Will Washington act in time to make a meaningful difference?
"The government is better when disaster strikes," Wolfe said. "It's not as good when we say the disaster is coming."
http://money.cnn.com/2008/08/29/news/economy/LIHEAP/index.htm?postversion=2008090205

government handout to the.......
i thought we made this country great with out handouts from the government.
i know the government does not give me anything for the propane that i need to buy. that is why i also use a out door boiler.

There is no doubt that firewood is going to be a good seller this winter, I am already having folks call from last year, and I am doing my best to get them to wait a bit.
Hate having that woodpile trimmed down in size before October, kinda childish isnt it?

I just looked out the window at my OWB and smiled.....:)

I do the same looking at my wood piles, off the rear Deck.... Ahh, what a good feeling !!!

DSC_5986_480.jpg

DSC_5949_480.jpg

Bring on the Winter !!!!

^ Now that's a lot of wood!

If oil & nat. gas prices keep dropping, all this hysteria might turn out to be a complete non-event.

I'm starting to feel for the folks that spent a small fortune buying $10k+ wood/pellet heating systems as their paybacks could be 10 years plus at the rate things are going.

OTOH, it's only a matter of time before crude prices are on their way back up...

I just looked out the window at my OWB and smiled.....:)

Yeah, I got the same feeling thinking about my woodshed. Two years of heat in there all ready to go.

We here on the site are very fortunate that we have the wood heat option. Not everybody does.

I figure that those who are steadfastly opposed to governement programs of any sort will have fun pronouncing LIHEAP.

Speaking of heaps, that's a heap of wood you have there, iCreek!

Last edited:
Speaking of heaps, that's a heap of wood you have there, iCreek!

Why thank ya, started last November as a pile for this year. Looks to be seasoning very well, and we got a spot cleared for this fall cutting for next year. We will just scoop from the pile with the backhoe and dump at the stove, no need to handle it to much. I think we are ready for the winter.

Fun to look back and watch the pile grow......

Here is picture of the wood pile November 2007

Here is a picture of the wood pile March 2008

Here is a picture of the wood pile April 2008

Here is a picture of the wood pile August 2008

Spot cleared for next year

Last edited:
Just makes me thankful I am able to supply wood for myself and my parents. I am healthy as are my wife and kids. My house is heated. I have enough R-19 in the garage to cover 2000 sq ft waiting to go in the attic of my house and one of my rentals. My garden has produced lots of canned goods for winter. I am blessed. I don't like seeing my tax paying dollars go to the pieces of crap able to pay their bills. If you are able but unwilling then I say you can go hungry and freeze this winter. Those unable I do feel sorry for. Count your blessings people while you are counting your cords!

I take comfort in knowing all my heat needs are already met for the year. I've heated primarily with a wodstove, and let the oil furnace kick on occaisionally in the middle of the night, or mid-day when we are at work. I decided this spring i am not going to burn any more oil. I debated building another chimney to install a second woodstove, but finally decided to purchase a pellet stove to be able to keep the oil burning to zero. Now.... i know a couple of you are gonna beat up on me for whimping out and burning pellets.... but it just made more sense for my situation. The stove i bought should run two to three days on a hopper fill. No way my wife would ever keep up with two woodstoves when i'm not home. Its a good feeling to have 14 cord of seasoned wood on hand, and five ton of pellets sitting here. :poke: This all i got for the oil man !

I know you've been on the fence for a while, but I think you're really going to like owning the pellet stove. Yeah you have to pay for the fuel, but it's still fairly cheap compared to oil, especially if you pre buy at times when demand is low. I try to keep an extra couple of tons on hand in case prices spike for whatever reason, like they did in 2005 and have over the last couple of months (although as oil prices continue to drop I think pellet prices will as well). Burning pellets is so much easier than wood, I think you'll find these pellet stoves pay for themselves when you can't be there 24/7 to tend to a traditional fire. Hook the pellet stove up to a thermostat and you can almost forget about it. With my Haman I can add a bag a day then after each ton of pellets, clean the stove and dump the ash... pretty easy compared to the wood stove! If I had to pay for cord wood, I wouldn't bother because pellets are almost as cheap and the stoves are so much less effort. The day I stop enjoying processing cord wood is they day I go back to only burning pellets...

My story parallels Hickslawn's....garden good this year, need to cut more wood tho...waiting for the wx to cool off....Gas went up a nickel in my area yesterday, don't get lulled into thinking gas will ever be cheep again...remember the 70's!

Back