Winter is over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Notice how long it stay's light out? Just a few day's day's ago it was dark by 4:30pm now you can still run a saw by 4:30pm( for a short very short time) and the sun rises by 8:00 am strange how a few day's makes a big diff Dec 21 was winter now it will be spring soon. Someone told me we gain 7 min of light the first few day's after Dec 21, never looked into but I believe them! Ah spring is a long way off but I have to get the wood in for next year.
I just keep thinking of last year in late June I was 62° North and only had one hour of darkness.

No kiddin......... lots of winter left here. I will admit, its good for the psyche when the days are getting longer though. :clap:

Notice how long it stay's light out? Just a few day's day's ago it was dark by 4:30pm now you can still run a saw by 4:30pm( for a short very short time) and the sun rises by 8:00 am strange how a few day's makes a big diff Dec 21 was winter now it will be spring soon. Someone told me we gain 7 min of light the first few day's after Dec 21, never looked into but I believe them! Ah spring is a long way off but I have to get the wood in for next year.
I just keep thinking of last year in late June I was 62° North and only had one hour of darkness.
Wait a minute. Winter just started less than a week ago. We've got 85 days or so left!

Forget the days getting longer. The days have been getting shorter for half a year. How fast do you think it will heat back up? I've still got 5 more dry cords ready to burn this year, and it looks like that will just make it.

Somebody's pulling our legs. Must be Austin workin' on his brew. :greenchainsaw:

It's still gonna be another month before I have much usable light after work, but I have noticed a bit more light in the evening. I looked in the Farmer's Almanac, and days actually start getting longer in the evening before the 21st, more like the 12th-13th, but still losing daylight in the morning until about Jan 1.

Since someone would want actual stats, I dug the Almanac out:

Latest sunrise: 7:13 AM from 12-30 through 1-8
Earliest sunset: 4:11 from 12-3 to 12-12

As of today we've gained 8 minutes in the evening, now at 4:19.

Just think, some of this knowledge probably replaced something really useful in your cranium! :D

Wait a minute. Winter just started less than a week ago. We've got 85 days or so left!

Forget the days getting longer. The days have been getting shorter for half a year. How fast do you think it will heat back up? I've still got 5 more dry cords ready to burn this year, and it looks like that will just make it.

Somebody's pulling our legs. Must be Austin workin' on his brew. :greenchainsaw:
Not pulling ones leg it really is staying light out longer but then the sky has been clear at night.However I have a feeling I will be burning until May! Now about that brew? I have a bottle of Vodka that came from North of St Petersburg Russia.
I am hoping Jan will be nice say around -5°C so I can work on the 2011 stack of wood. :)

It's still gonna be another month before I have much usable light after work, but I have noticed a bit more light in the evening. I looked in the Farmer's Almanac, and days actually start getting longer in the evening before the 21st, more like the 12th-13th, but still losing daylight in the morning until about Jan 1.

Since someone would want actual stats, I dug the Almanac out:

Latest sunrise: 7:13 AM from 12-30 through 1-8
Earliest sunset: 4:11 from 12-3 to 12-12

As of today we've gained 8 minutes in the evening, now at 4:19.

Just think, some of this knowledge probably replaced something really useful in your cranium! :D
It is useful! I was told by a co worker that also want's me to take him out cutting that the first week or so after Dec 21 you get a big gain in light by what you said around 7to8 min. Funny about the after work comment every min makes a diff I am home by 10:00am As I work nights but it makes one feel less like a Mushroom when you can see the sun:hmm3grin2orange:

Well when its cloudy out its dark by 5:00pm, when its clear sky out it is still a little light out at 5:00pm by about 5:45 pm I pull my tip ups, I can't see the flags anymore.

I started keeping an eye on the daylight a couple years back. 2 weeks ago on the shortest day of the year I could barely get out of bed, just kinda bummed. I don't mind the cold as much, but the darkness just gets on my nerves. I am in W MI, so summer days are very long, and on the western edge of the Eastern time zone, we have light til almost 10 pm in the summer. I actually look forward to February a bit. The cold settles in like a nasty beast, that you are sure is about to suck the life out of every living thing, but the sun is out a ton of the time. snowmobiling, cutting wood, pulling wingnuts out of ditches, I can go about all with good spirits when the sun is out. 20 degrees and sunny, no worries. 35 and dark, ugh.

We got lots of winter left here in Maine. January and February are the coldest months by far and February gets the most snow.

yessuh, we have lots of winter left here in the northern provinces of upper NYS, but this mention of 7 min gains towards long days is a look at the positve side!!!

we have had some cold but with winter not really kicking in till december this has been very easy so far. last year we were locked into full on winter weeks before thanksgiving.

we even has some snow..!

barkineater

Latest posts

Back