Winter-Spring Trim

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Concerning trimming a mature sweetgum tree, I know doing so when the new year's growth begins in the Spring-April is most commonly referred to as bad practice.... so Im wanting to know exactly at what point does it become too late in the winter-turning-spring to trim. If the bud breaking has begun AT ALL, it's really considered too late, right? The tree needs a considerable amount of height reduction, and so if its not to late, I'd rather go ahead and do it now B4 it has really started yearly growth, as opposed to waiting again till winter dormancy.... but I believe I probably waited too late. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Im not real familiar with gums but for most trees once leafs are forming and the bugs are out its too late. Extensive pruning can be traumatic for the tree and invite infestation. Height reduction? Are your referring to topping or just thinning. Also your talking about a considerable amount, the other thing you want to remember that you never want to prune more the 1/4 of the canopy or again risk stressing your tree. If it needs more then that your gonna want to do some then wait to finish the following season (next year).

I myself am not a big fan of topping but thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
Im not real familiar with gums but for most trees once leafs are forming and the bugs are out its too late. Extensive pruning can be traumatic for the tree and invite infestation. Height reduction? Are your referring to topping or just thinning. Also your talking about a considerable amount, the other thing you want to remember that you never want to prune more the 1/4 of the canopy or again risk stressing your tree. If it needs more then that your gonna want to do some then wait to finish the following season (next year).

I myself am not a big fan of topping but thats just my opinion.

I was referring to bringing the height of the tree down to better match the heighth of the one next to it. I suppose "crown heighth reduction" might be the appropriate lango, sorta scared of that topping word & I wasnt gonna leave any "stobs" anyhow. I had told the homeowner 25% was about max so we had only better take it down about 8'. Those dang buds are just BARELY showing green, having "broken scale", so I guess waiting would be best/safest, health wise. Guess I missed the boat on that deal, for now.

Concerning the sweetgum balls it loses; I have never injected or sprayed to abort the fruit it produces, but I bought some spray today to hopeully if timed right, I can put a stop to most of those this year. Now I am wondering if I shoulda went with the injection because #1 would not have needed my bucket truck for that, and #2 if any wind at all, it might catch my spray into the neighbors trees.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back