Winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Winter has started. I went on a "rescue mission" for the first guy to get stuck this winter. This was at 4000 feet. When we left, it was blowing and snowing harder. Brrrrrr. I'm not ready for fighting the snow.

Now, we timber folks need to go over our secret radio code for I'M STUCK AND NEED HELP. Like, "You should come out and see how the waterbars are working right now." ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbseIIwc5fw?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbseIIwc5fw?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We got snow above the house today also. Was up huntin and ran into the snow and wind. Two trucks were stuck between wind blown fir to the front and rear. So I said, Don't go any where:hmm3grin2orange:, I'll be back in about an hour to get you out. Home get a saw and head back up to cut them out.

The snow was just enough to slop things up and freeze the puddles. Good times are coming.

I'm so not ready for snow yet. Or the wind storms.

Owl

Last edited:
..."and be sure to bring the really good tow chain. And a jack. And a shovel. And some hot coffee and...."

Yah, I need to see if my chains fit. What Cedarkerf said is true. So I'll replace my not very good summer tires with the winter ones this week. I threw about 300 pounds of geogrid block in the back prior to the rescue mission and have lots of survival gear.

Is there a snowblower attachment for Twinkle? :)

I like the Montana Log Trucker idea of hanging bags of salt from the mirrors and poking a hole in the sack so it trickles out. I might try that on my driveway except the Subaru's mirrors don't look strong enough. :)

I'll try to get the Grapple Cat going also.

According to my unofficial rain guage, and my eyeballing method, as of 4PM we've had about 5 inches of rain in three and a half days. It is still coming down hard enough to be heard on the roof and has not let up at all today.

The ski hill has activated their hill cam and is now reporting snow depths. :clap:

The storm that just passed through dropped about 3/4" of rain but now it is sunny and warm. And humid! I hate high humidity. I spent my simmers growing up on a cattle ranch where the humidity was a negative number. I have never liked these gray days where you can't see the horizon and I feel sticky all day. Sitting in a duck blind on this kind of day was the worst. No wind, high humidity, and a zillion mosquitos. Bring on the rain and cooler temps.

yup...I'm at a little under 4000'. We have two seasons here I think, snow this a.m. Last year a guy walked down out of the hills, pants all ripped up and wet, bedraggled. "can you come pull me outta the snow? Been hiking six hours or so, family's still up there"... yup. Saw around my old diggs, Lee's Camp had over 5" rain Sunday.

Back