Wire Core Fliplines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking at replacing my old wire core flip-line. I've been looking at the Yale Maxi-flip vs. the no-name brand sold by Wesspur and Sherrill. If you believe their advertising, the Yale is superior since it has a Flemish wire splice as opposed to a crimp on the cheapo flipper which can accelerate wear in the wire from bending at the crimp point. According to Wesspur the more expensive Yale is made from only 3/16" steel rope, (even in the 3/4" version). This is compared to 1/4" steel rope used in the no-frills brand. Seems like 1/4" steel would be better (stiffer, more cut resistant) than 3/16". Any opinions on which is really better?

I'm not a steel-core flipline enthusiast. I think if I really wanted one, I'd pick up some 7/16" 7-strand (NOT in EHS), gut some 9/16 stable braid, and I would make my own.

It is pretty easy to do your own splices in non-EHS strand, it would allow for no "lumps" in the line, and you could easily include a thimble for each eye to assure that the eye was protected from wear.

I'd like to see somebody cut through 7/16" of 7-strand with a chainsaw! Furthermore, it would be plenty stiff enough to flip up the tree, and there would be no question about whether it was strong enough.

This is probably a pointless comment though, 'cause I don't expect too many folks are willing to make their own.

i have both a maxi flip and the no name blaze orange flip line that wespur sells here is what ive noticed about each

rope grabs seem to work much better with the maxi flip then the offbrand (they slid better) however my vt works better on the know name brand im not sure why this is though

i think they both flip about the same with the maxi flip performing better on smoothbark spars

the big selling point for me though is the weight the maxi flip is deffinitly lighter and if i had to do it again i would buy another maxi flip

i have both a maxi flip and the no name blaze orange flip line that wespur sells here is what ive noticed about each

rope grabs seem to work much better with the maxi flip then the offbrand (they slid better) however my vt works better on the know name brand im not sure why this is though

i think they both flip about the same with the maxi flip performing better on smoothbark spars

the big selling point for me though is the weight the maxi flip is deffinitly lighter and if i had to do it again i would buy another maxi flip

I was leaning towards the Maxi-flip and was just wondering if their advertising were actually true.

Latest posts

Back