Wireless Chimney Thermometer Source?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I appreciate the wood burning advice, that is not the issue. I have a solid install, with top of the line materials, well seasoned wood, and I clean my chimney monthly.

Crap happens no matter how safe you think you are being. I just want an extra line of defense to keep my family safe in the case of something unfortunate occurring.

While I appreciate the wood burning advice, that is not the issue. I have a solid install, with top of the line materials, well seasoned wood, and I clean my chimney monthly.
Crap happens no matter how safe you think you are being. I just want an extra line of defense to keep my family safe in the case of something unfortunate occurring.

No, no, and no.:jawdrop:

Many here heat with wood 24/7 and near 100%. Flue brushing once every year is it. Then you should get no more than a small bucket of junk, and a sparkling shiny flue. If you're cleaning the flue more than that, something is seriously wrong with:

1. The way the heater is used ( air control, getting the splits up to temp, etc..)
2. The flue--insulated, enough exposure above the roof and ridge, right size.
3. The fuel: split size, seasoned, mix.
4. Daily Hot fires to burn out nightly accumulation of creosote

Why are you brushing out the flue every month ? :confused::confused:

When climbers, pilots, or any unit in risk have an accident, they look at errors missed, technique, gear malfunctions, fatigue, mistaken assumptions. Why not ? The next time you could buy the farm and not come down for breakfast. :cry: When pensioned off I had a close call with a chainsaw----my stupidity, carelessness. Don't need any more scars. I went through the Maine CPL training mandated for pros by the insurance co. Why ? I realised that what I thought I knew about cutting and saws was BS. Humbling.

Last edited:
The only reason I clean monthly is for my piece of mind. It takes me all of 20 minutes to do and thus far I barely get anything out at each cleaning. That confirms to me at least that my burning practices are sound. In the end all it does for me is allow me to sleep better at night.

What I do is no different than a pilot preflighting an aircraft every time before he goes up or an over the road driver doing their pre trip inspections. Could those people get away without doing it everytime???? Probably, but it insures safety for all involved.

Some good advice here.

I always try to learn from those who have been there... experience is a great teacher.

here's a thought.
take one of those screw on temp gauges, and fix wire to the thermo case

next, secure a metal contact of some sort that is isolated from the case and run a wire from the metal contact...

now hook some power to it, and an alarm. I'm thinking a setup of 2 6V lantern batteries... and a backup alarm from a truck...

When the pointer hits the isolated screw, it completes the 12V circuit and the backup alarm goes... "Beep... Beep... Beep.... etc...."

You would have to find something fireproof, and non conductive to isolate the contact.. Bakelite? ceramic? trilithium crystal?

I'm sure there's an engineer on here who knows what'll work.

Back