wiring lp furnace blower to help hotblast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam4430

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i would like to know how to wire up my lp furnace blower to help push air in conjunction with the hotblast blowers. i have the hotblast ducting tied into the plenum on top of my lp furnace and its does a pretty good of distributing air but its not quite enough to push warm air into the kitchen and back sunroom on those really chilly days. i tried just moving the switch to blower only on my digital wall thermostat to accomplish this but that did nothing. its just a walmart digital thermostat with a two wire line going into my 90+ lp furnace. what i would really like to do is wire up the lp furnace to turn the blower on based on the lp furnace plenum temps but still have it work normal when i just the lp furnace is is doing the heating. any ideas? thanks

I would not be comfortable giving any recommendation, other than to look at the information on your furnace control and see if it has an extra input to turn on the blower. Some do.

Put larger blower on Hot blast

not really what im after. just looking for a little extra to push a little bit more hot air into those drafty rooms on windy days. i know new window would help that tremendously and its on the short term project list but not just rite now. thanks though

I would not be comfortable giving any recommendation, other than to look at the information on your furnace control and see if it has an extra input to turn on the blower. Some do.

would there me a wiring diagram on the back of a panel somewhere or do i need try and locate a manual somehow?

Put larger blower on Hot blast

I have a Hot Blast 1400.
I mounted a 1/3 HP 3 speed furnace fan to mine 2 years ago.
After I installed the furnace fan I wished I would have done years before.
It blows about double the air in my option and makes half the noise.
The area around wood burner is now much cooler and house warms way more evenly.
I got my used furnace fan from my local Heating and Cooling dealer for free.

Good luck.

Crappie, of course you have to pay for the manual, why would a manufacturer give away free manuals?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to translate Chinese into English?

I have a Hotblast so I can joke, you can't.

jam 4430, a bigger fan can be had for cheap and will blow you out of the house. I only use low speed, garage sale find. View attachment 217212
url]

What make/model is your lp furnace?

i would like to know how to wire up my lp furnace blower to help push air in conjunction with the hotblast blowers. i have the hotblast ducting tied into the plenum on top of my lp furnace and its does a pretty good of distributing air but its not quite enough to push warm air into the kitchen and back sunroom on those really chilly days. i tried just moving the switch to blower only on my digital wall thermostat to accomplish this but that did nothing. its just a walmart digital thermostat with a two wire line going into my 90+ lp furnace. what i would really like to do is wire up the lp furnace to turn the blower on based on the lp furnace plenum temps but still have it work normal when i just the lp furnace is is doing the heating. any ideas? thanks

What make/model is your lp furnace? Your furnace/wall thermostat probably got upgraded but not the wire that connects the two.

I have a add on wood heater. I use the LP furnace to draw the heat off the wood heater. When it gets cold(er) out I turn the fan on the wood heater in addition to the LP fan. I run the LP fan 24/7 and the temp in the house is fairly consistent. I’ve also blocked off a few air returns to encourage the LP furnace to draw more air from the wood heater. Something one has to keep in mind if they start using the LP a lot. Some will probably say my setup is a ‘hack’ but it works for me.

I would like to get it more automated….but ….that hasn’t happened….yet.

I suggest a bigger fan too....Looks (actually sounds) like ill be put in a bigger fan on the back of mine....Been rattling more than normal, must be a bearing out.

Ive heard replacments are outrageous in price and not worth putting the same one in anyway.

How would you hook up a multi-speed fan? Or can you?

I might have a fan if it works...

Better call a hvac guy in to wire it for you....Yea it will cost you but if you do it wrong it will most likely cost more.....It can be done, Ive heard of people doing it.

Last edited:
When i ordered a new blower for my ashley which has two 400 cfm blowers the replacement they sent is a 500 cfm.
That really makes a difference i hooked it up to be the first blower to kick on and now the smaller one hardly ever kicks on.
So ..... Bigger blower makes a difference...

I suggest a bigger fan too....Looks (actually sounds) like ill be put in a bigger fan on the back of mine....Been rattling more than normal, must be a bearing out.

Ive heard replacments are outrageous in price and not worth putting the same one in anyway.

How would you hook up a multi-speed fan? Or can you?

I might have a fan if it works...

Better call a hvac guy in to wire it for you....Yea it will cost you but if you do it wrong it will most likely cost more.....It can be done, Ive heard of people doing it.

If your looking to mount a furnace fan to your hot blast make sure you get a 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 Hp fan.
I installed a 3 speed 1/3 Hp with about a 9"x 9" wheel on mine and wired it up with a 2 speed Grainger furnace switch.
I wired mine to run on medium or high. I run it on medium all the time high speed seemed a bit to much.
To wire it all you need to do is unhook the wires that run to blowers and hook up to new fan wires.
Just use the ground wire and low, medium, or high wire and cap off the 2 you don't use.
No real reason to use a 2 or 3 speed switch. Once you find the speed you like you probably will never change it.

Ron

jam4430,
It won’t work plumbed the way it is… running the LP furnace blower will cause you to get less heat into the plenum from the Hotblast. When the furnace blower is running it creates a high pressure zone in the plenum and heat ductwork. The Hotblast blower will be fighting that high pressure, which will slow, or stop, or even possibly reverse the air flow through the Hotblast… either way it puts a lot of continuous stress on the Hotblast blower.

jam4430,
It won’t work plumbed the way it is… running the LP furnace blower will cause you to get less heat into the plenum from the Hotblast. When the furnace blower is running it creates a high pressure zone in the plenum and heat ductwork. The Hotblast blower will be fighting that high pressure, which will slow, or stop, or even possibly reverse the air flow through the Hotblast… either way it puts a lot of continuous stress on the Hotblast blower.

I think your wrong. Ive had both my furnace fans running at the same time, Heat comes out the vents with so much force it makes you wonder if the seams are gonna blow apart. True they will fight each other but properly installed it should help much more than it hurts.

I have a old coleman furnace fan that was in a mobile home...it runs but it dont seem near big enough or turn fast enough... no tags for specs on the fan.

jam4430,

the other night night i kicked my lp furnace on just to see what it would do and it seemed to work pretty good and the air was still much hotter than running the lp by itself. i have two of those vogalzang butterfly backdraft dampers installed in the hotblast outputs so that will keep them from fighting each other anyway.

i know i could install a bigger blower on the hotblast and that part would be free cause dad kept his old one when he upgraded to 97+ last winter. but i run the filter box with filter (allergies) and would have to fab up a whole new box.

i pulled the panels of the lp and found the wiring diagram and inspected the wires. i actually have a 5 wire thermostat line coming in. black, green, yellow and red are hooked up with a white unhooked. then between the circuit board and blower i have black going from cool terminal to blower, orange going from heat terminal to blower. then i have a blue and and red going from two unused mtr leads terminals to blower motor.

Help cantoo

Crappie, of course you have to pay for the manual, why would a manufacturer give away free manuals?

Do you have any idea how much it costs to translate Chinese into English?

I have a Hotblast so I can joke, you can't.

jam 4430, a bigger fan can be had for cheap and will blow you out of the house. I only use low speed, garage sale find. View attachment 217212
url]

I have the same setup as ur picture. I have a big blower like that. The fan is running at high speed. I feel this is 2 much because Im thinking this cools down the box 2 fast. What do u suggest the speed of the blower to be. I have the thermatstat set at 75 150 200. I also want to use the furnace fan to help push the air throughout my 2 story house. I think with the blower running on the furnace it pushes air back to the wood stove and cools that down also. Is there a way to stop the air from going back to wood stove.

painter, I run mine on low speed otherwise it just gets too hot in the house. I have minimal ductwork so the heat gets out fast. I would run it on low speed and see what happens. I don't know how to prevent the backdrafting but jam says he has butterfly backdraft dampers on his, that is likely what you need.

thank u I will try all that tomorrow and see what happens. I keep tinkering with this thing. Have u heard of people putting firebrick in the top section of the stove. They say it holds heat longer?

I had my Hot Blast wired to kick on my fuel oil furnace's blowers when its blowers kick on by an electrician friend. The FOF furnace still works independantly like you want as well. I highly recommend it over keeping the furnace fan running all the time like I was doing before the change. Not as noisy and drafty, and I know when the fire needs stoked because I can hear the fans turn off more frequently when the coals are dying down(whereas I couldn't tell before with Fan Only constantly running). I think he used a relay but I'm not sure how he wired it. I felt better knowing an HVAC/electrician did it so my house wouldn't burn down from me wiring something wrong. Well spent hundred dollar bill. He also set the FOF fan to run on medium with the wood furnace blowers and its a nicer heat(and quieter) coming through the registers for me.

Latest posts

Back