wiring thermostat to use outside boiler to b primary heat source?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenna

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just installed a wood master 4400, and want to use it for my primary heat source. i have an old fuel oil burner for my furnace in house. so my question is, how do i wire my coil so that my thermostat run it ya know so my fan kicks on to get to temp from the wood stove? Do i go from the coil to the limit/fan box thats on the plenum or do i go to the box that has a the little transformer deal in it?

If i'm understanding right - you have an oil burner with a blower in it, and you want to be able to have that blower kick on when your wood furnace is warm enough. Is that right?

There are a couple of ways to approach this. Some people have the oil furnace fan always on at a low speed, to circulate the heat. Some people wire up a temperature limit switch in the plenum of the wood furnace, to sense when it's warm enough, then have that close the circuit to turn on the blower at that time only. Is that how you are looking to have it work?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this struggle. does anyone know?

If i'm understanding right - you have an oil burner with a blower in it, and you want to be able to have that blower kick on when your wood furnace is warm enough. Is that right?

There are a couple of ways to approach this. Some people have the oil furnace fan always on at a low speed, to circulate the heat. Some people wire up a temperature limit switch in the plenum of the wood furnace, to sense when it's warm enough, then have that close the circuit to turn on the blower at that time only. Is that how you are looking to have it work?
Yes i have a set temp. out on wood burner. i just need 2 know after i hook thermostat wire 2 the coil where do i go with it do i go 2 the limit switch on the plenum or do i go 2 the box with the transformer that the thermostat goes 2?

On some oil furnaces, the blower is triggered by plenum temperature only, so in order to get it to kick on, you just have to raise the plenum temperature high enough to trigger the blower, and that's it. The thermostat to the oil furnace wouldn't do anything in that case. Do you have any pictures you could send us of your current setup? There are so many variations, that it's hard to tell what you need to do in your particular case.

As kingofgeeks said without knowing your unit or being a heating guy it is hard to answer your question. If you can give some more info or pictures I'm sure someone on here could help you out.

Some info from my limited experience:

There is line voltage at 120 volts and low voltage 24 volts in most furnaces. Don't mix them up and be aware you can get shocked touching the terminals! Depending on the furnace you may or may not need a relay coil. I was able to simply wire the 24v to the fan only terminal for the wood heat. Without a wiring diagram or labels I don't know if you can or where to do that on your furnace.

I have a York forced air propane furnace hooked up with a dual thermostat to turn on only the fan when it calls for heat and if the temp diff is 2 degrees it will fire the propane.

If I had to do it again I would skip the dual thermostat and install 2 of them. The first one for the propane set at maybe 55° and the other on wood for what temp I want to be at. You may need another wire run to the thermostat to have both.

On some oil furnaces, the blower is triggered by plenum temperature only, so in order to get it to kick on, you just have to raise the plenum temperature high enough to trigger the blower, and that's it. The thermostat to the oil furnace wouldn't do anything in that case. Do you have any pictures you could send us of your current setup? There are so many variations, that it's hard to tell what you need to do in your particular case.
YES WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK I WILL TAKE SOME PICS AND SEND 2 U. THANK YOUI

OK THIS IS WHAT I COME UP WITH HOPE IT COMES THUR. THE PIC ON THE LEFT IS WHATS ON THE PLENIUM THE TOP 1 IS THE COIL BOTTEM 1 IS WHATS ON FLU PIPE WITH THE TRANSFORMER IN IT. WHERE THE THERMOSTAT IS RUNNIN TO

Attachments

• 161214_101318_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    161214_101318_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 40
In that pic, the pic on the left is the same as I have on my furnace. That sensor is high voltage (120V AC), so you don't want to wire your thermostat to that. The transformer on the bottom right looks like it has a high voltage side, and a low voltage (24V AC) side. You should have an instruction manual or wiring diagram in your documentation that will tell you more, but I am thinking that you will want to wire your thermostat into the low voltage side of the transformer somehow.

Does the pump on your coil run all the time, or just when the thermostat is calling for heat? Possibly, you might have to wire the coil to the transformer as well.

It could be as such: 1 - Thermostat calls for heat. 2 - Coil sends signal to pump to kick on, to heat the plenum. 3 - When plenum is up to temperature, the limit switch will kick on the blower.

Again, we need more info to be sure, but I think that might be how your setup is supposed to work.

In that pic, the pic on the left is the same as I have on my furnace. That sensor is high voltage (120V AC), so you don't want to wire your thermostat to that. The transformer on the bottom right looks like it has a high voltage side, and a low voltage (24V AC) side. You should have an instruction manual or wiring diagram in your documentation that will tell you more, but I am thinking that you will want to wire your thermostat into the low voltage side of the transformer somehow.

Does the pump on your coil run all the time, or just when the thermostat is calling for heat? Possibly, you might have to wire the coil to the transformer as well.

It could be as such: 1 - Thermostat calls for heat. 2 - Coil sends signal to pump to kick on, to heat the plenum. 3 - When plenum is up to temperature, the limit switch will kick on the blower.

Again, we need more info to be sure, but I think that might be how your setup is supposed to work.
THANKS! thats how i was thinking it should b done but didn't know 4sure. so if that don't work I could just use another stat right? & if i decided 2 do it with 2 thermostats how would i wire that then with the coil?

If you do 2 thermostats, one stays hooked up to your oil furnace as normal, and the second one goes to whatever part of the hot water circuit activates the pump. That's how I would prefer to do it, so you can still switch on the oil heat when you go away or need to shut down the wood burner for cleaning.

That picture on the top right is an aqua stat that controls the boiler heat. That's where I'd connect a thermostat to to control the wood burning temp and the other pic is a fan limit which would turn the blower on when the plenum temp is up to the set temp.

I used a second thermostat connected to a fan control center to power the blower. The fan control center consists of a transformer and relay. Pump runs all the time, works good.

Back