Woehler Viper -Chimney Cleaning brush -bottom up cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PheasantHunter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, I moved into a house in the fall of 2013 with a piece of crap fireplace including a 12" flue. We immediately had a Enviro Kodiak 1700 insert installed. The installer put a 6" flexible stainless steel liner inside the 12" flue (no insulation). The installers used 24' of scaffolding (I think, see photo) plus a 8' step ladder on top of that to install the liner and cap. The stove worked great last winter and I didn't clean the chimney until spring.

However, this winter I am having to clean it almost weekly to keep it from backing up with smoke when you open the door. There isn't much in the chimney but from outside I can tell the cap is "plugged". I have a Woehler Viper cleaning system that I use from inside the house, but with the cap it doesn't do much cleaning of the last 6-8". I use a shop vac in the stove and it only takes about 20 minutes to clean it, so it isn't a huge deal but I don't want to do it this often. I love the Viper system but am trying to figure out do I need a different cap or do I need a way to clean from the top? Any advise would be appreciated? I have a 28' ladder but not sure that will get me high enough, I may need to rent a lift to get up there, rather than just clean it, I am thinking about a different cap.

Advise?

viper_zpsccbe7346.jpg
IMG_1101_zpscc122388.jpg

IMG_1102_zps2ff82174.jpg

So, I moved into a house in the fall of 2013 with a piece of crap fireplace including a 12" flue. We immediately had a Enviro Kodiak 1700 insert installed. The installer put a 6" flexible stainless steel liner inside the 12" flue (no insulation). The installers used 24' of scaffolding (I think, see photo) plus a 8' step ladder on top of that to install the liner and cap. The stove worked great last winter and I didn't clean the chimney until spring.

However, this winter I am having to clean it almost weekly to keep it from backing up with smoke when you open the door. There isn't much in the chimney but from outside I can tell the cap is "plugged". I have a Woehler Viper cleaning system that I use from inside the house, but with the cap it doesn't do much cleaning of the last 6-8". I use a shop vac in the stove and it only takes about 20 minutes to clean it, so it isn't a huge deal but I don't want to do it this often. I love the Viper system but am trying to figure out do I need a different cap or do I need a way to clean from the top? Any advise would be appreciated? I have a 28' ladder but not sure that will get me high enough, I may need to rent a lift to get up there, rather than just clean it, I am thinking about a different cap.

Advise?

viper_zpsccbe7346.jpg
IMG_1101_zpscc122388.jpg

IMG_1102_zps2ff82174.jpg
for some reason it sounds like it isn't drafting right, with you getting buildup and back smoke. I'd pull the cap right off and try it without it.

for some reason it sounds like it isn't drafting right, with you getting buildup and back smoke. I'd pull the cap right off and try it without it.

Some of those caps are nothing more than creosote traps.Try a more "open" cap or do away with the cap altogether.

Local code requires a "spark arrestor", so I think I need some sort of cap. However, this one looks "very cheap" to me from where I stand. If it were gone or I had more "gap" I could at least clean that last 1' with the Viper.

I have great draft when it is clean, but I think the 20 plus feet of chimney that is un insulated cools and causes cresote build up (only then does the smoke back up upon opening). I only have Douglas fir and lodgepole pine to burn here. I have a thermometer on top of the stove and most of time I am burning in the "good" range.

Local code requires a "spark arrestor", so I think I need some sort of cap. However, this one looks "very cheap" to me from where I stand. If it were gone or I had more "gap" I could at least clean that last 1' with the Viper.

I have great draft when it is clean, but I think the 20 plus feet of chimney that is un insulated cools and causes cresote build up (only then does the smoke back up upon opening). I only have Douglas fir and lodgepole pine to burn here. I have a thermometer on top of the stove and most of time I am burning in the "good" range.
If they require a cap I'd definitely get a bigger one that is more open.

check out forever caps. I know they sell them on Amazon and they are less restrictive.

You likely have a screen at top of your cap and there is your problem. Mine would plug up and even a clean flue would smoke the house. Took that sucker out and no problems anymore. The screen is there to keep birds and squirrels and such out but I clean chimney at the start of every season and havent found any yet. One 5/16" screw held mine in.

You likely have a screen at top of your cap and there is your problem. Mine would plug up and even a clean flue would smoke the house. Took that sucker out and no problems anymore. The screen is there to keep birds and squirrels and such out but I clean chimney at the start of every season and havent found any yet. One 5/16" screw held mine in.

I hadn't thought about that, I run into something with the brush at the top (thought it was the just the cap) and as long as I ram the brush into it a few times, some cresote comes down. After that, like I said the stove works for about a week without smoke backing up when you open the door. I have to wait for spring to rent a lift and figure it out (I have another issue to deal with on the roof, so the lift can help me with both).

Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Back