Wood blocks a good deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loganj01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've read on here that a cord of wood is around 2 tons...give or take a couple of hundred pounds depending on species/dryness. And a cord of wood seems to average in the $250.00 range. Around here, you'll pay around $60.00 for a 1/2 ton pickup load which probably equates $180.00 or so a cord. So there's a place in Cleveland, TN that sells wood blocks (I'm guessing they get them from one of the furniture factories) for $40.00 per ton. It's mixed species and ranges from 4x4x8 to some pieces that are 8x8x20 or so. It seems like its a better deal although I've never bought a ton and stacked/measured it so see what was really there. Opinions? I thought about posting this in the "What do you sell firewood for?" thread but that seemed to be more for the guys who were selling wood and I didn't want to hijack their thread.

If it is untreated wood I would say give it a try,but becareful sometimes when buring wood like that you can overfire your stove.

My father has rented shop space to a local skid manufacturer for years so I've burned my share of blocks , slats and runners. I would think if it's furniture scraps it would be nail/fastener free but the skid stuff I get is loaded with them and the ash needs to be carefully disposed of. You also need to make sure there's no processed wood products (chip board)as they contain bonding compounds that aren't meant to be burned. I just finished up burning my last goldmine of scraps from them.. I had over 3,500 2"x8"x18" Red Oak plank ends I've mixed into my traditional wood supply over the last three seasons.

My entire wood supply for next year is scrap wood... I have around 2,400 4"x8"x36" Oak runners that will need to be cut in half but stack nice and burn like coal !

How where you planning on storing this stuff?

I wouldn't think you would need to pay for scrap wood products ... hell the skid companies around here pays to have there stuff hauled off.

Jeff

we have a saw mill runs furniture grade here close by and they have same kinda deals the stuff not good enough for there needs...just make sure its not treated. and make sure its not all wet pine....i use used skids all the time here. i have two friends that resale them back to suppliers so the ones that are busted up i finish them off, if it goes in the stove burn it....lol
:highfive::highfive::highfive:

I burned quite a bit of this stuff last year...it's untreated and fastener free. You're quite correct about over firing the stove. I had the cast iron doors on the Craft glowing once with it last year. I liked it because I could fill the stove up with it and cut the air back enough to get a decent burn time. I just wondered if it was a decent deal as opposed to buying firewood by the cord. I expect these guys are getting paid to haul it off and then selling it for $40 a ton. I think I'll call them and see what I can get a semi dump trailer load for.

Latest posts

Back