wood blocks for carvers pricing??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
been cutting a LOT of western red cedar lately, into blocks for carvers/woodworkrs etc. need a hand on pricing them accordingly:

here is the info:

- blocks are fresh cut (green)
- nice grain, very little knots if any
- beautiful coloring
- average size from 12' x 12" x 12" to 20" x 12" x 20" (approx)

any ideas, i Googled this but did'nt get much help...

Board Feet

Whatever you can get per bd/ft I'd figure it out and sell it like that. I.e. a 12"x12"x72" would be roughly 72 bd/ft. 1"x12"x12" is one bd/ft. If your getting say $1 a bd/ft for western red cedar, $72 would be a good price. Just a thought eh?

sounds good to me! thanks Cisco! i ended up giving a very good price $50, the buyer was a member of the local fish club i belong to. In the future i'll up the price slightly.

:chainsaw:

One of my buddies does a lot of carvings (with chisels and chainsaws, especially with cedar) and he'll pay at least market value for his logs. A lot of times people in specialty markets will actually pay a little more to get loggers, or whoever their supplier is, to sell to them instead of the mills. Plus since they often pass on the price of the wood to the customer, they can get away with paying little more. The best place to start is to find out what the markets are like in your area. From there you just have to talk with the local woodworkers and figure out what seems fair.

Back