Wood boiler over heating with high winds.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deutzman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this to let others know that may have the same problem as I have with the wood boiler over heating during high winds. The door on my CB faces west. That may be the first mistake I made when I set the CB in the beginning. But it's there now and I'm not going to move it.

3 times since Jan. I've had the CB to overshoot the set point by a great deal. The last time was when we had 40+ mph winds for over 24 hours. I was lucky it didn't split the pex. I shot it with a hand held temp. gun and it was 217f.

I checked the door gasket and damper and both checked out OK. So these last 2 fronts that came through I set a steel door off an electrical enclosure in front of the WB door and I had no problem. Just like many of you this winter and spring we've had a lot of wind that's been stronger than normal. I'm talking about those windy days that we normally get in March here. 10-15 MPH is no problem but winds higher than that for long periods has been a real problem.

If any of you have had this happen and found a better way to stop this problem I'd appreciate your help. Until I find a better way to block the high winds I'll keep setting the steel door in front of my WB door.

BTW: I have a wireless temp. sensor on the exchanger and had the alarm set at 195. That alarm was what let me know I had an over heating problem and may have saved my pex. Each time some of the water had boiled off and each time I added water and cooled it down. I have no proof but I wonder if the wind gust may be lifting the damper in the door at times. Not much but maybe a little.

This overheating also occurred on warm days when the house wasn't calling for heat but maybe once every hour or so. If it's cold outside I don't think it'll happen because the heat is being removed in the exchanger.

That's strange.. I'm on my 5th season with my CB, never had that problem and mine also faces the west. I'd say you got to have an air leak somewhere, check that damper plate real close for warping and the adjustment on the soleniod. I've also had to tighten up the roller catches on the door even though the gasket looks ok.

Good luck!

I had the same problem with my Heatmor. The dealer told me to drill (2) 3/8 ths holes in the stack because the wind blew down in the stack stirring up the fire. I put 2 holes in the stack about a foot up from the roof and I haven't had anymore problems. Hope this helps...I know how frustrating this can be:msp_cursing::msp_cursing::msp_cursing:

Steve

For the winds to be causing a problem there has to be an air leak somewhere. If it was blowing down the stack, a leak somewhere else has to be letting air out. The OWB isn't like a balloon that keeps expanding to let more air in. The wind is passing through the OWB somehow.

The last 2 windy days we had, I set that enclosure door in front of the WB door and it never changed from normal operation. Sunday was very windy and even had tornadoes on the south end of the county. Thanks for the replies and hope to get more ideas too.

I'll try the holes in the pipe. Sure can't hurt anything and can see the logic behind that too.

The dealer told me to drill (2) 3/8 ths holes in the stack because the wind blew down in the stack stirring up the fire. I put 2 holes in the stack about a foot up from the roof and I haven't had anymore problems.

I don't think it's wind "blowing down" that was the problem.

Rather wind passing the top of the chimney was creating a slight vacuum like it does passing over an airplane wing. That caused increase draft (venturi effect).

The holes at the bottom give a place for extra air to enter and be drawn up rather then having to suck that air through the firebox.

Latest posts

Back