Wood boiler water and existing oil boiler system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellonwheels2u

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to install my new OWB to my internal system and am hearing that some folk plumb in the hot water feed right from the OWB into the existing boiler system and others are saying you have to use a plate exchanger because of the way it heats the water. I'm thinking that plumbers and the boiler companies want me to use a plate exchanger because then I'll have to spend another $700 - 1000 for the exchanger and the circulation pump. Right now I plan on going into the top of the boiler where the pressure relief valve is and then returning back to the OWB via the bottom drain connection. The pump(s) at the OWB should circulate the water thru the existing boiler system and back to itself. I plan on keeping my water at the OWB at ~ 170-175 F. When a zone calls for heat via the Tstat, the zoned pump and gate open and the water that is in the boiler goes to that area and operate until the zone is satisfied. Once satisfied, the zone shuts down and the whole thing goes back to just circulating hot water from the boiler thru the existing system, without having the oil fire up. I want to know why this won't work. Thanks.

Closer To $500

30 plate water-to-water HX is about $300 online, Taco 007 is $65 at Home Depot. Additional copper and fittings may be about $100. I like the way mine works. My house is 4800 Sq Ft and DHW as well. Over 30 plates is a waste. Make sure to use a Y strainer on each inlet to keep the HX clear.

Same thing here...House system is pressurized...OWB loop is not (and I don't want my OWB loop pressurized). OWB overtemps and you could have scalding hot water from the OWB explode inside the house (if under pressure).

30 plate water-to-water HX is about $300 online, Taco 007 is $65 at Home Depot. Additional copper and fittings may be about $100. I like the way mine works. My house is 4800 Sq Ft and DHW as well. Over 30 plates is a waste. Make sure to use a Y strainer on each inlet to keep the HX clear.

I agree 100% plate exchanger will help with many different issues. It doesn't need to be a $1000 one. A lot of the exchangers are expensive because they are also rated for gasses, not just liquids. I bought a 30 plate 5x12" 1.25" port FlatPlate exchanger from here: http://www.ccallis.com/flatplate_heat_exchangers.htm It works awesome!! Get Y strainers (both inlets) and the mounting bracket. You can get everything you need from this guy, he is very nice to work with and will give you a discount if you call. I have no affiliation with the company, just a happy customer. Three of my friends bought through him.

I'm plumbed direct and am very happy with it and can go back to a pressurized system in about 5 minutes.Easy hook up and no hassle or bother.Scott

Latest posts

Back