Wood Boilers- What Type?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch95100

Saw Nut
Reaction score
Hey all Im not new to chainsaws or cutting but i am new to the whole wood boiler thing. We decided to purchase a boiler to heat our house and possibly a few bui;ding in the near future, but not knowing much about them i was wondering what brand, size, and other info would be best suited for my application? The lines are already in the ground from a previous boiler so everything is ready to go just needthe boiler and heat exchangers. The house is a older farm house but is extremly well insulated and holds heat well. The reason for switching to a boiler is we have over 60 acres of hard wood and 4 dollar a gallon fuel oil is expensive! Also i live in NE Iowa so if your near and looking to sell PM me.
Thanks

I have a Garn just made up the road from you in the Twin cities.This is the six season for it and I have had no problems with it. I run it year around and heat my water with it also. Their not cheap but quailty is not. I am in the process of adding 2,100 gallon storage to it. I sure don't want to go out side and load a OWB in the cold. Good luck on your search.

I just installed a homemade boiler, but if I were to buy a pre built unit it would have been either a Portage and Main or Central Boiler. After a bunch of research these seemed to be about the best IMO.

Lot of guys I know with Central Boilers who really like them.

Hardy's are popular around here as well because the dealer is close.

Finding one where the dealer is near is key in my opinion for service and parts.

I vote for Central Boiler. I have had mine for nine years now. Had some small issues but were taken care of by the dealer. About the only other one you see up here is Heatmore. A friend has one of each and will never by another Heatmore.

Thanks for the replies iv been on vacation so its been a while. Im thinkin centralboiler is thae way to go... but even better a used central boiler. Due to the fact of the EPA...

I installed a Portage & Main Optimizer 250 last fall. It kept +/-3000 sqft at 70 degrees all winter long on 6 cords. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Fairly expensive, but based on what I had been paying for propane, I have a 3.5 year break-even. Like I said, I wish I had done it 10 years ago...

Another vote for the Central boiler. I have had mine going non stop since December 2008. Use it year round for heat and hot water for 2 houses. Like others have said. I wish I had bought it sooner.

I've been heating my house for five winters now with a Mahoning model 300. I've had no problems with it except for a blower motor and a draft solenoid replacement. I went with a Mahoning because there is no circuit boards to go bad.

Storage is very important,more is better, myself I like garn type boiler. very simple batch burner, environmentally friendly. :)

I just bought a Central Boiler model 5036. Should be lighting the fire for the very first time tomorrow (10 Nov 2012).

I suspect I'll have $9500-9800 once I tally up all the receipts. I'm expecting a 5-6 year payback, as my wood is "free" except for cutting, hauling and splitting. ;-)

I've done all the installation myself, with a heat exchanger on the water heater, the furnace and a hanging space heater in the garage. It's not rocket surgery but it does take basic mechanical skills.

I'm in central Minnesota. Have no other boiler experience at all, so am a total noob.

Jon

Latest posts

Back