Wood box or other winter storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Friends,

30 years ago when i was a wee lad, my dad was a wood stove man. he had a wood box that he built out of plywood and 2x4s in the garage that he kept for wood storage. he had it divided in the middle (2/3,1/3) with the smaller section being for kindling. what size wood box do you have built (dimensions) for keeping a few day's worth of wood dry and warm? or do you some sort of shelving? or do you load up a wheel barrel and bring that in?

Yes, my firewood will have to be stored in the garage. the basement is not an option...

For the stove, we always just had a big wheel barrow full of wood in the garage. On the really cold days we might use 3/4 of the wheel barrow.

Since our wood stove is at the opposite of the house as the garage, I had a buddy who owns a woodshop build me a wood box with casters on the bottom. I can get enough wood in there to get me through the day and just roll it to the garage when we needed more. Kept the mess off the floor and kept me from walking to the garage whenever we needed wood.

I have a built in woodbox that I can load from one set of doors in the mud/ laundry room near the back entrance to the house, with another set of doors that open to the living room near the stove. I can load enough wood in it to last about two days.

Our stove is in the kitchen, off the garage. We have a shelving unit close to the stove that the Mrs. keeps her big pots and pans on. We use the bottom shelf, around 4' wide by 2' tall, 16" deep, for indoor wood storage, usually more than we would burn in a normal day. There's a lean-to off the back of the garage, and we have a rack there to hold perhaps a weeks worth. From there it's 25' to the woodshed.

I went nuts last year grabbed a sawzall and cut a hole through the side of the house that opens onto the hearth. My wife thought I was going insane but so far it has been the best thing I have ever done!!!!:msp_thumbup:
Now that I have a wood door onto the hearth there is no more mess tracking wood clear through the house. I just go outside grab a wagon load and place it right on the hearth keeping all the mess outside.

Picture of the door before I painted it.

You can see the door in the left of the photo showing how much room I have to stack on my hearth and yes the dog pretty much lives in that spot when the stove is going.

I milled up some 4 X 4 " white ash. Then built a rack using mortice and tenon joinery (e.g. timber framed)

Bottom span is shouldered M + T so whole 4 X 4 holds the load. 90 X 60 X 20" , H X L X W

I laid the whole thing out using scribe rule,;no rulers, squares etc just a chalk line compass and plumb bob

Would load a picture but the upload function seems to be wacked out (I'm on dial up it sits for hours waiting to load anything)

holds more than 1/3 cord plus kindling rack on top

Last edited:
I used to just carry a load in at a time from my shed that is about 60 feet from the house. But due to general laziness and a run in with a rather cranky bobcat last march i decided to build a shed just like the one your dad had for my deck. It's about 6' long, 2 1/2' deep, 3' tall or so opening, divided 2/3 for wood and 1/3 for kindling. It's just a modified version of some plans you can find easily on the net if you google wood shed. It was originally meant for garbage cans and wood.

View attachment 250806

Hello,
Here is a wood box that I built a few years ago in my wood shop. We have it setting on our deck now, but haven't really used it for what it was intended. We usually just fill up a 2-wheeled 10 cu. ft. wheelbarrow and another wheeled cart with the wood we intend to burn for a few days. I really need to put some substanial wheels on the box so I could roll it over to the steps where we bring the wood up onto the deck. Then we could use it as it was planned !

Henry and Wanda

We use a heavy-duty, 4'x6', beater type, off-road only trailer that gets filled at the wood pile then parked in the attached (heated) garage. This trailer heaped full will last between 5-8 days. This system means less restacking and not having to bundle up to go outside to fetch another load of wood. It also allows for the snow to melt off of the wood before it comes into the house.

Hey Mac88,
No, the lumber is 3/4" pressure treated(hard to tell from the pic) and it was given to me. My friend had built a board on board privacy fence a couple years back and then he wanted to make it solid so his dogs couldn't see out and bark at things. So he had a lot of fence boards that were in great shape left over from the rebuild. He asked if I wanted them and of course I said yes. I probably still have enough left to make another box......I've been thinking about it !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

i found an old wooden shipping crate at one of the places nearby here and it works great. i think it is 1" fir boards that are all joined and dimensions are 3' long by 2' wide by 2' high. it's a neat box. i put old wheels on the bottom to make it easy to move out of the way to sweep.

I didn't build anything :(

The stove is plumbed in overhead where the original fireplace hearth was. That is bricked up. Threw an old rug scrap down on the floor behind the stove, stack the wood against the bricks on that, take it outside and shake it out once in awhile...Scrape it with the ash shovel in between and burn that stuff. Kindling goes in five gallon buckets for the wood scraps and twigs, and newspapers/junk mail go into a cardboard box....

Coolest I have had anything to do with was had a GF long ago, lived second story in what was a converted millinery. Had a big dumb waiter that still worked, big gears, etc.. Filled wheelbarrow outside, into the dumbwaiter, lift it upstairs, over next to the stove. Easy peasey.

Back