Wood carving question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawilson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For Xmas, a friend had someone do a wood carving of an Indian. I haven't seen it, but he describes it a about 5' tall and about 18" diameter. The carver suggested making a slit with a chainsaw down the back to keep the front from splitting. He's not too crazy about the idea, so I said I'd post here for any advice. This will be indoors. Most of what the carver does stays outside, so he's not positive how it will dry and crack. Thanks.

tawilson said:
For Xmas, a friend had someone do a wood carving of an Indian. I haven't seen it, but he describes it a about 5' tall and about 18" diameter. The carver suggested making a slit with a chainsaw down the back to keep the front from splitting.
To really answer that question, one would need to know what orientation that thing was carved from that tree. If it was carved from a log, meaning the pith runs down the middle of it, then yes, when you bring it inside to a dry house in winter, it might split open where you don't want it to, depending on what the MC (moisture content) of the wood is now. If it was outside, it is probably between 15 and 20%, whereas wood in a heated house in winter will often stabilize down to the single digits. Thats a lot of moisture to lose for such a large hunk of wood. Splitting it open in the back (if its oriented as I said) would indeed give the wood a place to move.

Last edited:
Yup.. the carvers idea is correct.

If it's carved from a log it's almost certain to split as it dries, especially inside. By creating an artifical 'split' down the back, where it's least obvious, you let the wood shrink and reduce the risk of a huge split developing down the front.

The split in the back will open up more as the wood dries out, but could allways be filled with some matching timber once the piece stabilises ( a few years probably)

Cheers

Ian

Thanks to both of you. Also would be a good time to thank the both of you for the threads you both have started and I try to never miss.

you could also suggest the old method used on the storefront indian carvings. Drill a hole directly in the center of approximately 3/4 inch a 4 foot bit might be bit hard to locate then fill said with linseed oil till it will no longer disapear over a months time thus curring the log from the inside out. I have a buddy at work that collects the authentic storefront indians and i help him once a year poor gallon after gallon of linseed oil into his collection.

upandcommer said:
you could also suggest the old method used on the storefront indian carvings. Drill a hole directly in the center of approximately 3/4 inch a 4 foot bit might be bit hard to locate then fill said with linseed oil till it will no longer disapear over a months time thus curring the log from the inside out. I have a buddy at work that collects the authentic storefront indians and i help him once a year poor gallon after gallon of linseed oil into his collection.
That is interesting, I never heard of that method. I wonder how it works. Oil doesn't really "cure" wood. Maybe it replaces the water? Maybe as the water leaves the wood, the oil replaces it and thus keeps the wood from shrinking and thus cracking. I have read where they used to take wet right off the saw blocks of wood for wagon hubs, and bury them in lard (pig fat) for a period of time. Apparently when they dug them back out they could then use the hub. Again... don't see how that would work. Where did the original water in that wood go, into the lard?

At any rate... interesting subject.

tawilson said:
Thanks to both of you. Also would be a good time to thank the both of you for the threads you both have started and I try to never miss.
...you're welcome Tom... this is enjoyable. There are many good threads started by lots of folks in this milling section.

Back