Wood Doctor inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beagler1593

Reaction score
Just bought a Wood Doctor 8000 sq ft unit. One of the buildings that I am planning on heating is a well insulated 40 X 60 shop with 12ft ceilings. I am toying with the idea of installing the unit inside my shop for several reasons. My question is....... can anyone tell me from personal experience how much smoke I can expect inside my shop from opening the door and tending the fire ? This unit has a manual damper that opens the air to the chimney. Thanks in advance....

Last edited:
Just bought a Wood Doctor 8000 sq ft unit. One of the buildings that I am planning on heating is a well insulated 40 X 60 shop with 12ft ceilings. I am toying with the idea of installing the unit inside my shop for several reasons. My question is....... can anyone tell me from personal experience how much smoke I can expect inside my shop from opening the door and tending the fire ? This unit has a manual damper that opens the air to the chimney. Thanks in advance....

A buddy of mine has a wood doctor in his barn, (that reminds me to send pic to ya zodiac) From my experience when at his house, when he is loading it, it smokes quite a bit, but he doesn't have a long enough flue for the steep roof he has, it doesn't draft correctly. Even at that I think it is managable. I will post pics if your interested in his set up.

I have the same stove and have a 8 foot chimney on it and it gets a very good draft. It smokes quite a bit even with the damper open. I would not put one in a finished space.

Thanks for the opinions

Thanks for the opinions, I think I'll set it outside. Just not worth the risk of it not working.

I have the same stove and have a 8 foot chimney on it and it gets a very good draft. It smokes quite a bit even with the damper open. I would not put one in a finished space.

I wonder why that is? Just doesn't make sense too my feeble mind. All my stoves, when I open the dampers prior too opening the door, they will suck air (through the door) and flare up, not belch smoke out? You sure you have a proper draft? Good info though and still like too see the pix Gink. I'm up on a hill with quite a bit of a breeze off the ocean most days. Mine would be in the attached barn where I store my wood. Here's a pix. It would be that non brick flue too the right. I bring my wood in through that big double door in the middle. That's all wood storage in the center area (small apartment above it).
attachment.php

Last edited:
Beautiful house Zodiac, I bet that house has a few storys to tell. Yes I will get the pics I just never remember to take a camera, He only lives a couple miles from me!!!
My stove as well pulls air in when I open it, unless I pull the door really quick than it will pull smoke in the house. I know his problem is the flue, I believe they recomend having your flue 2' over the peak of the roof, unless it is so far away from the peak, not sure of that dimension. his is 8'-10' below the peak and maybe 10' from the peak, it just doesn't draw air like one would think.

Latest posts

Back