wood fired ceramic kiln

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a guy stop by to buy three chord of seasoned hardwood to fire pottery in an outdoor wood fired kiln. He explained a little about the kiln design, and the flame travel from the approx. five cubic foot fire box, through the kiln depositing ash build up on the glazed pieces. What I found most interesting was the 2,400 degree firing temperature and four day continuous burn. Had no idea a wood fire could get that hot. And burning three full cord in four days? Will be delivering the wood this coming week and hope to get pictures of the kiln. Firing will not be for a few weeks.

That is impressive. Huge amount of energy there.

I talked with a guy that had what he called a pottery kiln that got that hot. He got rid of a natural gas fired one to get a wood fired one. It had something to do with the exact kind of pieces he was making needed a wood fire.

Mr. HE:cool:

I have heard or read somewhere pottery fired in this manner is unsafe for food or beverages. I have started planning the re glazing of a cast iron bath using a wood fired kiln, One I saw at a craft fair done that way looked fantastic.

IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0590.JPG IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0588.JPG IMG_0587.JPG IMG_0586.JPG
Two truckloads, three cord total. It will all be re-split before stacking to 3"x3" to burn hot and quick to reach the 2,400 degree temp. It takes about 24 hours to get up to temp. Air flows in the side vents below the firebox door where the coal bed will be. Then up the interior side wall and down the opposite, or left, side to openings near the floor, into the chimney chamber and up the flue. Pots are stacked to the ceiling. The firer-ing will not be till early August.

Woodchuck357: I forgot to ask about using the fired pottery with food. Possibly this pottery will be much larger, as in sculptural pieces not used with food. Just guessing at this point. There is an open house and auction scheduled of student works of all types. Metals, casting, paintings, blown glass and more. I'll try to remember to ask then.

Back