Catalytic element replaced.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been mild so I cleaned the chimney and stove, discovering the catalytic element had failed. This is a FlexBurn system and can be run with, or without the cat, so we continued to use the stove.
Three days later a new one arrived from Grassroots Energy, Waconda, Illinios. They are one of the best wood stove shops I've come across. Mark is a friend, but the plug for the shop is genuine, as can be seen on-line as well.

We do use home made fire starters made from cardboard egg cartons, candle wax, and drier lint.
Candle wax is not recommended by the manufacturer and may have shortened the elements usefulness.
There is a noticeable improvement in burning with the new element.

Last year we bought a stove ash vacuum for about $100. It was very helpful in cleaning the inner stove and removing the small pieces. Bit of a mess to empty however, and best done up wind on a breezy day.

The old and the new.
The old is three years old.
The new is $200. plus shipping.
Edit: The house stove is identical, except enameled, and four years old. The element is fully intact. IMG_5570.jpgIMG_5573.jpgIMG_5572.jpgIMG_5575.jpg

Instead of dryer lint, use the saw chips from cutting logs. Less wax in each cube and they burn for about 10 minutes. I use ice cube trays to form them.

sent from a field

I use the weed burner, hooked to a 30# tank to fire up. The fans are runnin' before the wood catches.

Latest posts

Back