How long do your commercial saws last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone824

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have never really had issues with longevity of our saws. Most of the time the things that break are chain break handles, oiler pumps and occasionally a clutch will blow if new guys let the chain run tight for too long. Our stihl saws run great until they need a carb cleaning. We got a 500i when they first came out and after a year it started running terribly and wouldnt stay running. The shop told us we put dirt in the intake and fried the cylinder. We also supposedly dont use the correct 2-cycle oil when mixing. However all saws use the same fuel mix, both 201tc’s and Ms362’s. I believe we could have gotten dirt in it as those 500i doesnt have a choke to block off dust from getting in the saw. But the shop says we are lucky to get more than a year out of a pro saw for as much as we use it. But we use it far less than a 201t and those last a minimum of 5 years. Some we have had for close to 10. What are everyones thoughts on a good life range of a top of the line saw. Are old school saws just inherently better built?

We have never really had issues with longevity of our saws. Most of the time the things that break are chain break handles, oiler pumps and occasionally a clutch will blow if new guys let the chain run tight for too long. Our stihl saws run great until they need a carb cleaning. We got a 500i when they first came out and after a year it started running terribly and wouldnt stay running. The shop told us we put dirt in the intake and fried the cylinder. We also supposedly dont use the correct 2-cycle oil when mixing. However all saws use the same fuel mix, both 201tc’s and Ms362’s. I believe we could have gotten dirt in it as those 500i doesnt have a choke to block off dust from getting in the saw. But the shop says we are lucky to get more than a year out of a pro saw for as much as we use it. But we use it far less than a 201t and those last a minimum of 5 years. Some we have had for close to 10. What are everyones thoughts on a good life range of a top of the line saw. Are old school saws just inherently better built?
Mine last for years and years, I rotate them with a bunch of others and take great care of them. I have mostly Stihls.
A choke has nothing to do with dirt entering.
You need maintenance on all those saws weekly.
When you posted “new guys” I see what is happening. They are wrecking everything, it's not the saws, I have 20-year-old saws.
You need to watch them in action too tight on the chains, dull chains and dirty air filters will wreak havoc. If your 201 is lasting longer, have the climber teach them proper use.

Commercial is hard on equipment, even harder on it when those who have no knowledge of its care plus no financial repercussions use it. I remember before work or after everyone taking a hour over coffee (or a beer) to have conversations that bettered every ones abilities with shared experience and knowledge. This greatly helped the new folks learn and become part of the crew. The experienced folks got to razz the new guys and share things they learned the day before with the other experienced crew members. You should try this by offering donuts/coffee to them a hour before load up to go over every piece of equipment every morning or simply pick one piece to go over as a group so everyone is on the same page for its care and what to look for.
I see guys still running 30 year old saws and I see guys with new saws, the guys who run new saws often are using the bottom tier versions and have one 462/ 661 or older version in the arsenal that only the owner is allowed to touch hidden behind his seat. When the warranties run out on the cheap saws they go buy more, by that time the saws have seen a few different operators quit/fired. The guys running older saws own them, take them home and clean/service them and very often rebuild them themselves and would quickly put a stop to others touching or attempting to use their equipment.

We're had several Stihls that definitely went past 5000 hours. Including an 025 and an 038 that never stopped working.

I bought my 460 in 2008 and sold it in 2018(?) to a guy in our group and it's still kicking. My 461 has been going full time for 5 years and is about to start another season.

Huskys? We grind them up into powder and use the dust as a traction aid for when we're stuck in the snow.

I've heard the 500i's like 50-1 mix but dirt and water more importantly is an issue with all saws.
As for longevity, I have 2 461's I bought weeks after they came out, one is semi retired but still runs, the other is my current backup saw, neither has had the best of maintainance or care, both have been thrown by me, and trees, one was ran over by the skidder, the live in the back of a truck and rarely get to sleep indoors... current main saw is a newer ms461.
Run good fuel and 40-1 qualtiy mix oil and the will last forever.
The semi retired version got a good 4-5 years of 30-40 hours a week, it started slowing down and you can feel the looseness in the crank while running... but it still runs. The backup (started life as a backup) I ported and muff modded, its a runner even today, but its not as ballsy as the mostly stock newer saw... which is also getting tired
anyway, by the time I can afford a 500i, they will likely be replaced with the next iteration so?

We buy all our saws new from a stihl dealer. Very few issues. We run a slightly richer mix than 50:1 with the highest grade stihl oil mix. You should get many years out of a well maintained stihl.

Also each of my climber/bucket guys gets a designated 201t, which helps.

We're had several Stihls that definitely went past 5000 hours. Including an 025 and an 038 that never stopped working.

I bought my 460 in 2008 and sold it in 2018(?) to a guy in our group and it's still kicking. My 461 has been going full time for 5 years and is about to start another season.

Huskys? We grind them up into powder and use the dust as a traction aid for when we're

Back