Wood for OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geothermal unit

I just got done doing some repair work on an airhandler that was being used in a open loop geothermal unit. They take water out of deep wells then flush it to open air. It was a 2500 sqft house and they heat their water with it. I got up the nerve to ask her how much her electricity bill was for February, I put my poker face on and she said $750. :help: You can have your geothermal units for 750 a month. That is wrong, just plain wrong. I will stick to wood.

puck

ps: a normal electric bill around here for a house that size is 150 to 175 a month. So they just spent 500 bucks for heat that month. The electricity does not come out of thin air, it was produced by some smoke belching plant somewhere. If it makes you feel good, I guess do it, but do not pretend that you are saving the environment by using an open loop system. I understand that the closed loop systems are different and do not require the power input like the open loop, so I hope I did not offend any of you.

Last edited:
I just got done doing some repair work on an airhandler that was being used in a open loop geothermal unit. They take water out of deep wells then flush it to open air. It was a 2500 sqft house and they heat their water with it. I got up the nerve to ask her how much her electricity bill was for February, I put my poker face on and she said $750. :help: You can have your geothermal units for 750 a month. That is wrong, just plain wrong.

Yeah, that IS wrong! Somebody got her facts mixed up, or somebody got taken for a bad ride! That is NOT normal for a geothermal unit!

OF course, pumping the water to open air sounds flaky, too. It's usually looped back down.

Yep, something wrong here. I don't know what, but what you saw is NOT typical!

Heya BlueRidge, have you run into any info on air-to-air heat exchange systems that scavenge from a 'green house' air space built on the sunny side of a house? ....

I have not heard of that, but it sounds like it makes sense... until summer time! :jawdrop:

Depends on the climate, I suppose. I plan to put central air & heat in my place when I can afford to (the idea is to fix up & sell this place), and I expect to put my AC unit or heat pump (If I go that route) on the north side of the house, in the shade. I want maximum cooling in the summer!

Back