Wood Furnace in Garage or Basement Near Garage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar969

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay, so my decision is finally made to install the englander furnace over the drolet tundra. I decided this because money is tight and since I am odd and like it at a max of 65 in my house and 55 at night, I can not see me saving wood in the tundra to heat my house.

However regardless of which one I chose I am having a problem as to where to install it. I found out that you can not install it in a garage which makes since because of the gas cans, gas machines and the truck I pull in everyday.

So, my question is can I install the furnace in my basement but here is my issue. If you walk to the end of the garage you go up three stairs and there is a door way in the cement brick wall that separates my basement from the garage. I was going to put the englander furnace right next to this wall and the door way. Note that the door will swing away from the furnace. Then, I was going to run the flue through the wall and run it up through the corner of the garage. My problem is wont fumes and all the issues of putting it in the garage still be in my basement.

My second option is to put it upstairs in the new edition above the garage and build a hearth and run new ductwork but I do not want to do that.

So the garage is lower than the basement, correct? Gas fumes, are heavier than air, they would tend to stay down in the garage. Sounds like your current basement plan should work if all the other install details will work out.

Thanks brenndatomu, I wanted to check my reasining with that also. Thanks again for all the advice with my decision.

Is it okay for the flue to be in the corner of the garage near the ceiling? I was going to put the furnace in the basement then use two 45 elbows to run single flue pipe through the cement brick wall and up to the ceiling. Then at the ceiling, I will have the connector to convert it to a triple wall pipe.

Your welcome, we require pics of your setup when you are done though please!

I would think the pipe running through the garage would be OK but you better check with someone who knows your local codes. That is one of those details that could technically be legal, or not.

you have been here asking questions for months, just call a stove shop or building inspector, id also call youre insurance company. even if it is to code your insurance company may not like how its installed and deny any claim you may have, and most likely will deny any claim if there was ever a problem because you failed to inform them that you have a wood stove...
asking people not from youre area for advice is pointless if you want it to be up to code... just do it right!

Back