Wood furnace to duct...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built my dampers like WS did but mine are like / \ over the plenum of the wood furnace and butterfly open. I preweighted mine so they would open and close based on the central furnace or wood furnace. If it was me, I would make sure they could be manually opened in case of an outage, so you don't trap heat in the furnace or ducting.

That's a great idea too. I have been looking at some ideas and some store bought dampers to get ideas now I got to get to work on these things

If it was me, I would make sure they could be manually opened in case of an outage, so you don't trap heat in the furnace or ducting

That's a darn good point... and one I forgot to mention. It's the one error I made for the damper on my wood furnace. If the power goes out and I did want to use it in "convection" mode, I'd need to disassemble the filter box and blower plenum to manually open the damper. A simple lever, rod, pull chain, or whatnot would have been an easy addition (I didn't think about). Not that it's a big deal... when the power goes out I fire up the emergency generator. But still... options and flexibility are never a bad thing.

And what if power goes out when your sleeping, or at work? To late, fubar. Personally I am a fan of spring open power closed.

My dampers only close if the central furnace runs. As long as my blower has kicked on with the woodfurnace, the damper opens. My lp furnace is shut off during the heating season unless needed, so for us if a power outage did occur, I have nothing to worry about. I designed mine with multiple scenarios in mind.

And what if power goes out when your sleeping, or at work? To late, fubar.
LOL‼
You obviously don't live in my house. If the power went out at night the wife would wake up in an instant; she wakes up if a leaf falls on the roof... seriously‼
If I'm at work?? Well... the wife is home during the day.
Besides, likely, if the power went out it would be due to weather, and if the weather is bad she ain't leavin' the house... or sleeping.
LOL‼

Latest posts

Back