Wood ID 12-1-2017

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone...

I thought I was cutting up a silver maple log based largely upon the appearance of the bark. However this wood is MUCH heavier than SM, it split nicely, but has zero aroma. Can you ID this for me? Feels like oak but I am unfamiliar with this bark. The moisture content was 30-33%.

mystery1.jpg mystery2.jpg mystery3.jpg mystery4.jpg mystery5.jpg

Third pic shows a dozen or so wood rays. Rays give quartsawn oak the tiger striping appearance. Hickory doesn't have visible rays. It's excellent firewood either way.

This is white oak. Notice the lack of distinct difference in color between the heart wood and sapwood.
d3df75a377abb99be33cc2279a70b377.jpg

sent from a field

Everything about the pics says shag to me, except for the pic of the split round. I've never, EVER had hickory split that cleanly. Some of the stringiest wood I've split.

I agree that the mystery wood has similar bark to hickory but the wood, after splitting, looked and felt like oak except it didn't have any odor. First pic is two pieces of split hickory on the left and next to it, on the right, is the mystery wood (split and bark side).

mystery6.jpg

The pic below with my thumb is hickory... smells awesome

mystery9.jpg

The pic below is hickory freshly split
mystery10.jpg

The pic below is the mystery wood
mystery7.jpg

Attachments

• mystery8.jpg
    mystery8.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 11
Back