Wood ID 12-1-2017

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything about the pics says shag to me, except for the pic of the split round. I've never, EVER had hickory split that cleanly. Some of the stringiest wood I've split.

All of the shag and pig I've split, unless it's a crotch, splits fairly clean.

sent from a field

Many woods seems to split a lot cleaner with a kinetic vs using a hydraulic. It appears caseyforrest is using a kinetic splitter. I split half a dozen pieces of shagbark last weekend to show a buddy how my splitter worked, so that he could borrow it. I could tell the shagbark was a stringy Wood compared to others, but it still split pretty cleanly with my kinetic. I am also able to split elm fairly cleanly, as compared to a hydraulic where you end up with a tangled mess that you have to fight to pull apart after the hydraulic is done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the mystery wood has similar bark to hickory but the wood, after splitting, looked and felt like oak except it didn't have any odor. First pic is two pieces of split hickory on the left and next to it, on the right, is the mystery wood (split and bark side).

View attachment 616145

The pic below with my thumb is hickory... smells awesome

View attachment 616148

The pic below is hickory freshly split
View attachment 616149

The pic below is the mystery wood
View attachment 616155

4th pic down, grain and bark is White Oak.

It's white oak. You hickory people are cracking me up. What is everything hickory!?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Firewood, possibly. Whiskey barrels, possibly. It really sucks for lumber though;)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Yeah, the important stuff. I'd rather have a house built of any kind of oak as pine but that's not happening.
When I was a kid I'd cut stave bolts and sell em to my cousin who had a stave mill.

Latest posts

Back