Wood rack completed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkyard_sal

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted this in the photo section but realized more people might be interested in seeing it here...

I can delete the double post if needed.

Not sure what state of delirium caused me to slate the roof but I did learn how to lay slate without having to F'up the roof on my house.

All wood (locust, red and white oak) in the rack is cut with #mastermined saws. Thanks Randy

8fbfa5b903344616fcc9213e3b4c1ce3.jpg
29cf1e1e049138a89abef7633869e54d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Nice little castle in the background too! Might need at slightly bigger woodshed to heat that house? Are you cheating with oil and propane?

Motorsen

That is the neighbor. My house is a few hundred square feet smaller and I can close off the finished attic. So heated above ground square feet is about 2600. I can keep the house at 70 degrees (21C) on a 20-25 (-4C to -6C) degree day pretty easily but with a couple cold spots. Below 25 (-4C), I have a gas fired boiler to assist. I normally let the boiler fire once in the morning to take the chill off the house from overnight and then let the wood stove pull the load through the day with a big fire in the morning and then in the evening. The rack has inner dimensions of 12x4x6-8 and I let the wood hang off either side to get three full rows.

Looking at these photos, I need to clean up the construction site. I am using the broken slates and some demo'd material from blowing out a plaster wall in the house as aggregate at the bottom of fence posts for a garden fence. Better than sending stuff to the landfill. I think I will put a New England Bird's beak roof on the front of the rack. Does anyone know how to frame that?

Yes, that is a slate roof. The local roof center inadvertently was delivered some metric slates. I picked up a square of slates on the cheap and decided to go for it. The neighbors love it so win win. I will do seamed metal on the shed that comes next.

Looks great. I've been scouring the web looking at pictures on how i wanna build my next one. My last one was a lean-to off the steel shed but was surrounded on 3 sides with steel so it didn't dry worth a darn. It was already built when we bought the property so i wasn't out anything but my next one will be similar to this.

My big question is, do you get a lot of snow? Our last property was in Minnesota and we got tons of it. I'm just curious how the wood would do with open sides all the way around if you had a lot of blowing and drifting snow?

Sounds like you need a bigger stove if it can only handle down to 25*. Mine is fine to -25*, though the back rooms are only in the low 60s at those outside temps.

I can handle colder but the worst cold spots are in the high 50s....I definitely need a second stove.

In winter, I pull a tarp or snow fence across the north face of the rack but then everything is dry and seasons quickly.

The house is in Baltimore.

Slate roof on a woodshed!!! You must be loaded! :laugh::clap:

I'd like to see more pics of the neighborhood. Looks like some nice historic houses there. Where do you live?

No project is ever done. I added a saltbox front section and plan to use up the rest of the slate. I like how it looks framed and it will look even better with slate!
0316fcefd5ce08ab5f70d9be8dd9a228.jpg

I build stuff that looks like it was put together in a hurry with the scrap lumber in the corner of my shop, by a blind apprentice....you have built a "This old house" wood shed, looks great!

How big is that and how much wood will it hold? Looking to build something like that after I clear a few more trees out this winter to hold everything while it dries.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It is roughly 12x4x6 (back) -8 front slightly wider than 4 feet. The wood hangs over each side by a few inches. Properly stacked it holds about 3 cords. You could make it 12x6x6-8

I cut 18-20 inch pieces

Latest posts

Back