Wood Stack Check

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckethead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know there is always threads regarding the wood stacked vs. piled, and covered vs. uncovered.

Yesterday I was out at my wood stack (Red Oak stacked log cabin style on pallets) and performed a scientific test to determine the moisture content. 90% of the stack is covered with a tarp (on the top only) and the remaining 10% is fully open to the weather.

So, I grabbed two pieces of wood, one that had been under the tarp and one that was in the open...even though they were both about the same size, the piece exposed to the weather was NOTICEABLY heavier. Now granted it was from the top of the stack so it has gotten the full brunt of the last 2 weeks of rain. I'm not sure how the stuff lower down in the stack would compare.

So I have concluded that there is a definite benefit to covering the top of the wood stack(leaving the sides open) especially when it rains for nearly 2 weeks straight.

Hmmm.....I wonder if I can get a government grant to publish this highly scientific study.....:monkey:

Last edited:
I do the same here in ontario, i stack on skids 4x4 by 6 or 7 feet high and put a cover on top.If i see no rain for a week or so i will pull the covers off and let the wind and sun get at it.It is a little extra work but i don't mind check'n on the inventory once and a while!:cheers:

Back