Wood Trailer Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streeter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am thinking of mods to help me load the trailer as I load by myself. Some of the stuff I load is just way to much , BUT it is always the stuff that is the most available.
Have any of you modified your trailer for easy of loading? I am thinking of buying 2 of these, one for front and one for back. Any other suggestions?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_74569_74569

Your weight and dimensions sound about the same as a fridge. What do you load a fridge with?

LMAO........Yes, these things are monsters. There is smaller, but I let the older people take them and besides the ones I get have no knots and split clean. I load at this place

http://www.southwestforestproducts.com/ashfork.asp

Has anyone modded a trailer yet??

P.S. My second fridge holds my beer:cheers:

The hoists might work, but what about a winch mounted at the front of the trailer, and a ramp at the back? You could use some form of grapple or hook to grab the end of a log and pull it onto the trailer.

The hoists might work, but what about a winch mounted at the front of the trailer, and a ramp at the back? You could use some form of grapple or hook to grab the end of a log and pull it onto the trailer.

I have thought about using a winch, but how would you get the logs off without some type of heavy equipment?

Okay then, let me start by saying that we do not have big logs here so I am really making this up as I go along. :D

The simplest way of using the winch to off load would be to run the winch cable off the end of the trailer and use a pulley (tied to an immovable object) to loop the cable back to the trailer and the logs. When you operated the winch it should pull the logs off.

A more laborious method would be screwing a beveled 1" board sideways on your trailer bed. The logs could ride up and over it and they would (hopefully) be high enough off the bed for the unloading part.

When you want to unload you could tie one end of a rope or cable to them, tie the other end to that immovable object that I mentioned earlier, and just drive away. The logs should just slide off.

Hopefully this isn't too far off the wall, but in my defense I do see my suggestions as an opportunity for me to subscribe to this thread and find out how you solve this problem.

:D

I've been thinking about this as well and have been looking at small dc powered winches. 1700-2500 lb capacities by superwinch, warn, and milemarker can be had for $150 or less. Search the web for prices (and free shipping). I haven't committed yet but am about to....just have to decide on the winch and how to mount it. My flatbed trailer is a tilt bed but I would probably use some ramps as well.

I was thinking of a winch to get them of the pile and pull on the first level of wood (trailer does have a ramp). It is going to be the second level of wood that is going to hurt.

If the issue is loading, sometimes a box of donuts and coffees can get some favors with the guy operating the grapple. Doesn't solve the unloading though.

I have the same scenario: can get some logs from the city recycle place, but due to liability, no sawing there.

I was thinking of a winch to get them of the pile and pull on the first level of wood (trailer does have a ramp). It is going to be the second level of wood that is going to hurt.

That's a good point!

..... maybe that little crane is the best idea?

I've been thinking about this as well and have been looking at small dc powered winches. 1700-2500 lb capacities by superwinch, warn, and milemarker can be had for $150 or less. Search the web for prices (and free shipping). I haven't committed yet but am about to....just have to decide on the winch and how to mount it. My flatbed trailer is a tilt bed but I would probably use some ramps as well.

I think you are going to need a much larger capacity winch. I got my 5490lb four wheeler stuck in the snow last fall and my 1500lb warn winch was straining to get it out with four wheeler in gear and spinning the wheels. Start talking about draging a 800 to 1500 pound log dead drag and I would think you would want a 8000 to 9000 lb pull winch. But I think I have seen them for $250 - $350.

Right now I am trying to trade my ms 360 pro for a front end loader. I want to take it apart and use the cylinders to make a log grapple with stabilisers that would mount in the front of a trailer. Not sure yet if I want a car type trailer or running gear type trailer.

Billy

I think you are going to need a much larger capacity winch. I got my 5490lb four wheeler stuck in the snow last fall and my 1500lb warn winch was straining to get it out with four wheeler in gear and spinning the wheels. Start talking about draging a 800 to 1500 pound log dead drag and I would think you would want a 8000 to 9000 lb pull winch. But I think I have seen them for $250 - $350.

Billy

That is when you need a snatch block to increase leverage.

How often do you get logs. If you could do most of your oading in a day or a weekend it might pay off to rent a small dingo or a ramrod for the day and make a bunch of trips. Or if you have the funds you could buy one. There was a dealer near me that had a couple used ramrods for sale for $2500.

Scott

Parbuckle the logs over the side of the trailer, allows you to do multiple layers too.

In the search function at the top of the screen, go to advanced, and use 'parbuckle' as the keyword, then limit the search to 'firewood & heating with wood' . This has been discussed, and there is a thread with lots of good pictures on how to do it.

Let us know what you go with, and how it works.

Latest posts

Back