Woodfurnaces banned???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like the government in my business but I admit there has to be some rules and regulations and enforcement, I'm not an anarchist. Unfortunately people and corporations both tend to look out for #1 instead of the good of everyone. The Golden Rule isn't obeyed very often, if it were we would be all set. My point was we should not ban wood burning, as I think we all agree, but to have sensible regulations at whatever level makes the most sense. I am a gun enthusiast and I cringe when people talk about banning them but I am for reasonable gun laws, backround checks and the like. Same should go with burning wood for heat. Reasonable regulations with effective enforcement. If you break the rules once you get a fine, twice you loose the right to burn, or something like that.

Most of my neighbors and us could live near each other indefinitely with no major issues, and if something did come up it could be settled in a heartbeat by simply asking - if we knew something we were doing was bothering the others most of us would be trying to see how fast we could fix it. But there's always a couple, aren't there? My closest neighbor is one, a selfish, lying, thoughtless, manipulative person who cares only for himself. In another time and place there would be other ways to deal with him, but at the present we're still pretending to be a society with the rule of law. Thankfully he does not have an OWB, he just burns all his garbage, including all the waste from his illegal auto painting business.

There is an OWB near me at a busy intersection at a traffic light - it might have a 6' stack, but probably not that big. They had an extension on it for a while but since it had no support it fell off. Whatever they burn, many a time I've seen that intersection totally obscured by thick smoke. When population densities are low and folks don't have to interact much, then you don't need many rules to tell the idiots how to behave.

If this is a society of laws, why are municipal governments tolerating and even supporting all the fools occupying parks?

Rules here say Park closes at 11, no tents, no generators, no overnight camping, BUT the Occupy clowns are allowed to have all of them and banners too.
If I want to run a generator int he park I have to pay a Fireman to stand by. The Occupy clowns don't.

When enforcement is selective it is BULL$HIT!

Society of Laws is a scam run by people who only obey rules when they are convenient.

Society of Laws is a scam run by people who only obey rules when they are convenient.
Yes, the rule of law is failing, here in the land of the free. The contrast is glaring, with more people in prison than any other, as a percentage of population and in absolute numbers, compared to those at the top where no laws at all apply. So you will be glad when the laws are gone then? I suspect very few here will be far enough up the food chain to find that a benefit.

Lots of politics here but wood furnaces have been banned for a long time in WA. We just don't have them. Can't go to HD and buy an englander 28-3500 or whatever furnace. I don'tknow why but it is not new.

Oh and we already can get fined for improper burning. Meaning, if you have smoke coming from your chimney they can write you a ticket.

Lots of politics here but wood furnaces have been banned for a long time in WA. We just don't have them. Can't go to HD and buy an englander 28-3500 or whatever furnace. I don'tknow why but it is not new.

Oh and we already can get fined for improper burning. Meaning, if you have smoke coming from your chimney they can write you a ticket.

Is there some room for reasonable common sense? I mean I say my wood stove burns clean, which it does, but I can't say that it produces zero smoke all the time but it's never a lot and never smoking all day or all night. It always disipates long before it goes beyond my little two acre property and never bothers my neighbors (some of them burn wood too). Will they write you up for any smoke at all or just if it becomes excessive and/or repeated and how do they define that?

Guv'ment in bed with petroleum industry,,"they" dont like our independance from the thieves in "DC", nor are the tolerant of our beating big oil outta their profit margins,,my big vegetable garden will probably be next!!!:msp_scared:

You can get the Caddy line of wood furnaces in Washington St & Oregon since they meet the EPA emmission standards.

Most of the guys around here are really good with their OWB setups. I have several buddies that have one and a lot of the amish around here have them too. When my wife and I move we are planning on installing one in the next house.

However there are a few guys who are just stupid. One guy is right off the main highway and burns nothing but railroad ties. he literally gets them dropped off by the truck load. I have no idea how he's cutting them up but man does that thing blow smoke if it's not running hot. He's got a very long stack on it, but it'll still make a royal mess.

I'm all for just enforcing the current laws that we have already. Certainly not in favor of making new ones. OWB's are awesome in my opinion and would be a real big loss to have them outlawed. That said, if they were to be banned, technology has taught us that someone is always tricky enough to make something that gets just barely around the current laws

So from what i can gather from this subject is that half of your think its bull and the other half think its good???
Im going to start a poll and see what happens:)

Several of my biggest customers are folks with OWB's, most are very diligent in burning seasoned wood only. I have one customer who insist in green wood, I mean cut that a week before he burns it.
Out here in this very rural area, you have people burning old electric line poles, the company leaves them lay on the right of way for people who want them or give them to the adjoining landowners. I've seen people burning old railroad ties, tires, just about anything that will in the firebox. Those few who burn all the trash are the ones that ruin it for everyone, the units that burn seasoned wood have never put off any excess smoke or bad odors when I've been there unloading wood. However the one where I have to provide green wood to smokes like a locomotive. He is right by a paved highway, there are morning where the smoke is hanging in the air so bad you think your in a fog bank. I can see both sides of the issue. The guys that are burning the junk, ties, tires, poles, trash, even throwing used motor oil in to dispose of it will do the same with the epa certified units. For those type people there does need to be some type of enforcement.

Back