woodmaster 5500 burrrrning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got it going this morning. No more burning propane for this kid, thats for sure.
So far, Ive got it running at 180 degree water temp. My inside boiler has inlet and outlet temp readings. After the water travels through my 85 ft of pex, into the heat exchanger and then into the boiler, Im getting 165 degree water. Im gonna have to get a temp gauge to check the actual temp of water coming into the builder to veryify minimal heat loss in the underground pipe.
So far, burning pine.

2065497367_42169f2d4f_m.jpg

This years wood.
2065497377_65dfd2705c_m.jpg

Unfortuneatly, this years wood pile is about 40 yards from my boiler. Reason being that there was a rather large pile of dirt where my wood pile will be. The wood behind the boiler, is getting ready for next year.

ktm250rider

How much did a unit like that run you and how much wood do you expect to go through. im burning a insert 24-7 heats very well and plan on going through about four cords

Last edited:
Congrats !! nothing like getting off the fossil fuels.:clap:

BTW, you better get more wood than that. The one I had would have burned that pile in about 2 months if that.

We have about 9 grand into it as its running. Last year we went through 2000 gal of propane heating 4000 sqft. I had a blower door test done on the house and we found A LOT of holes to fill. THis should cut down on the energy requirements. As to wood consumption, no idea. I hope to have some of whats in the pic left over for next year, but I bet that doesnt happen.

new owb

I sure hope you do not have that big of a temperature loss in 85 feet you or better have a pile of wood three times that big . With a properly insulated pex you should only loose a few degrees of water temp. one other question why are you have the water temp at 180. does the manufacturer recommend that temp. and what is the pex rated for just a few things to keep in mind

Thats not the heat loss from 85 feet. Thats the heat loss at the boiler after the boiler water absorbs the heat from the heat exchanger. I doubt that the heat exchanger is 100% efficient.
Last check was 174 at the OWB and 168 at the IPB.
PEX will do 180° at 100 psi and 200° at 80 psi
First time operating so I chose 180 since my IPB used to run at 190. I may lower to 170 and see what happens.

Sounds nice. The pictures are blocked from work for some reason.

I found out the hard way that you can never have too much wood. I go through about 10-12 cord a year with my set up.

I keep the temp at 175. having it hotter does not seem to help and I have more steam off....Find out what works for you.

When you say 10-12 cord a year,are you talking face or a real cord?

Excuse the dumb questions please,I'm kinda new to this.

Last year I guesstamated :jester: I used about 17 face cord,2800 sqft kept @ 75.

I have a WOODMASTER 5500 myself. I think it works better if you don't try to stuff it full. Just put enough wood in the morning to last until you get home, seems to work better for me. I do not have the auger or grates in mine, so I end up with a huge coal bed if I keep filling completely. Just keeping messing around til you find what works best for you. One complaint would be the heat bypass. watch your head when throwing in the wood!! Also if you pull the handle all the way out, turn it a 1/2 turn or so it will continue to slide the length of the stove so you can knock creosote off the top off the pipes.

Definitely get the saw out. Looks like you'll need more wood than that. More wood is better than less, especially if your heating 4000sqf. Expect that pile to disappear real soon.

Proud feeder of a 5500 woodmaster as well. Michigan here and keep a pretty well insulated 3500sq foot shack at 73 the last 3 winters and used about 10 cord per.
Good luck and yes watch pulling that out...can leave a nasty shiner.

When you say 10-12 cord a year,are you talking face or a real cord?

Excuse the dumb questions please,I'm kinda new to this.

Last year I guesstamated :jester: I used about 17 face cord,2800 sqft kept @ 75.

Full cords. That being said I have about 20 cord ready if needed:) :cheers:

Yup Ive got more wood, just need to get it on the trailer and out of the woods. I think Im going to cut and pile in specific locations around my property and then trailer the wood out to the furnace.
This morning was my first early morning dark rainy feeding. It was quite a drag getting out there. I had an interview this morning so I figured Id fill the furnace before showering and getting ready for that. I wasnt even awake when I got out there. I tell you what though. Sitting here and watching the oil truck agross the street has already washed away any regrets.

Yup Ive got more wood, just need to get it on the trailer and out of the woods. I think Im going to cut and pile in specific locations around my property and then trailer the wood out to the furnace.
This morning was my first early morning dark rainy feeding. It was quite a drag getting out there. I had an interview this morning so I figured Id fill the furnace before showering and getting ready for that. I wasnt even awake when I got out there. I tell you what though. Sitting here and watching the oil truck agross the street has already washed away any regrets.

I have a WOODMASTER 5500 myself. I think it works better if you don't try to stuff it full. Just put enough wood in the morning to last until you get home, seems to work better for me. I do not have the auger or grates in mine, so I end up with a huge coal bed if I keep filling completely. Just keeping messing around til you find what works best for you. One complaint would be the heat bypass. watch your head when throwing in the wood!! Also if you pull the handle all the way out, turn it a 1/2 turn or so it will continue to slide the length of the stove so you can knock creosote off the top off the pipes.

I have a new Woodmaster 5500 also and a huge pile of coals in it at the moment. It's my first year burning with it so I was wondering if it was better to have a ig bed of coals.
This shouldn't be a problem should it? The power draft should act like a forge blower with all the coals in it.

I believe there are a few different opinions on the big coal bed. I don't think anyone on this website will have any, ha ha. I don't have the ash auger in mine so when I load it I rake as many coals as I can to the front and throw the new wood towards the back. Some say a good coal or ash bed helps the bottom of the stove last longer because it insulates it from the direct fire. I really don't know for sure. I like having a lot of coals in mine, make it easy to get the fire roaring again and will hold the heat for a long time. IMO

1st, more wood, lots more wood heating about 5000sqft here and I'd say a cord a week when it gets below 20 at night.
2nd, as for the coal bed don't know if there is any benefit to longevity of the stove but it sure is nice when you wna sleep in a bit or just don't feel like making it out there some mornings. These things are a real pain to relight.

Nice stove though I use a central boiler but have a buddy with one of those units and they are very nice, one of the more efficient ones too i'd say.

What kind of burn time are you guys getting out of one of these owb's? I have a cheap wood stove right now and get a max....3 hrs :censored:

I have a central boiler 5000 something series (forget off hand) and heat a 3500 sq ft house and my attached 50X55 Shop to 60 or 65 and burn around a load and a half a day when it is the low thirties to mid twenties out and a heck of alot more when it gets colder. I's say three three and a half loads when its in the single digits. If I didn't heat the shop it'd be about half that, but then where would I escape to when not on here.:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back