woodmaster 5500 burrrrning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I have a big coal bed in my 5500, and I just keep adding wood to it and shoveling out a some ash every couple days. I'm heating 3000 sq. ft. and using it for all of my hot water.
I add wood at around 7:00 at night and normally around 11:00 the next day right now. If I had a job to go to (I'm Daddy day-care) I would have no problem keeping one fire going all winter.

Truthfully I think I would get longer burn times if I fed it nothing but Oak, based on the few pieces I've burnt so far.
Right now I'm mixing Maple, Cherry, Beech, most of which was standing dead or cut last year.

I have about 8 face cord of Red Oak and probably 4 of Sugar Maple I put up before the drought we got here so I'm waiting to burn it till it gets really cold, like maybe Feb/Jan.
Hopefully I won't have to burn it till next winter, if I can continue to get into the woods and cut standing dead maple.

Last edited:
What kind of burn time are you guys getting out of one of these owb's? I have a cheap wood stove right now and get a max....3 hrs :censored:

Woodmaster 5500; I keep my trailer house at 72 and the shop (36x60x14) at 65 and temps are between 5-20 outside I fill my wood stove 3/4 full with red oak and I get around 15 hours burn time.

Ive been keeping the house are 68-69 (warm enough for me) with the bedroom at about 65 (perfect for sleeping). I have my radiant floors running in the kitchen and bathroom.
Outside temps have gone from around 40 down to about 20 over the past two weeks.
The first week I was running 4 logs every 12 hours. Logs were 20 to 30 inches long and the biggest was probably 12 inches in diamter. All of it was pine. I had one problem in the morning where it didnt light so I had to coax it a little with some kindling.
The past week its been in the 20-30s and Ive been running about 5 similar sized logs per 12 hours. THis time, Ive been going 50-50 with pine and hardwoods.
I havent burned down enough to empty any ash yet. All times Ive filled, there has been good wood left from the previous fill.
So far Im happy. Oh and I just saw the Propane guy drive by again.

Coldest weekend since I've had my WoodMaster 5500 and the rear blower just puked on me!! Yesterday I saw a lot of smoke rolling out of the rear panel on the stove, pulled it off and found damper was open but fan not running. I pulled the spring off so damper would close. Won't see new blower til Monday or Tuesday.
Seems to be keeping up o.k. but definately not to full potential . I was always curious to see how it would do one just one blower, now I know.

Congrats !! nothing like getting off the fossil fuels.:clap:

BTW, you better get more wood than that. The one I had would have burned that pile in about 2 months if that.

well...looks like you were right i have about a cord and a half left (dry) took down a dead tree that gave me about another cord or so but not quite dry sure would hate to pay for dry wood but we will see how it goes. hope to have 6 ready for next year i think that will do it

Back