Woodpecker hole in Mimosa tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleNelson

Reaction score
Hello,

I was very frustrated to find a huge woodpecker hole in one of the main branches of my mimosa tree. There are (were) four main branches stemming out from the trunk of the tree, and unfortunately I lost one of the four last year from what I assume was due to the sizeable woodpecker hole in THAT branch :mad:

Now, I am worried I will in time lose a second main branch due to another woodpecker hole. I live in Texas. I was wondering if I might be able to fill the hole with some sort of fertilizer or nutrients, in order to stabilize the bark inside or make it stronger somehow (or less vulnerable to deterioration). Also, of course I need to fill the hole.

Do you have any recommendations for not only how to fill the hole, but also how to TREAT the hole to prevent me losing this branch now in the future? :confused:

Thank you so much. This is our favorite tree to look at in the backyard, and it will be ruined if it happens that we have lost two of the four main branches.

Kyle

Kyle, welcome to the site.

And no, do not fill the hole with fertililzer or nutrients. Trees do not take up these elements in this manner.

Could you post pictures? They might help us determine why the woodpecker is going for your tree.

Dealing with woodpeckers, which are generally going for insects or pecking into deadwood looking for nesting sights, can be a frustrating, futile and persistent problem.

People around here have seemed to have the best success, in repelling pecking birds, with those rubber snakes that can be wound around a limb or otherwise attached on the object they wish to keep the bird from. (We have seen flickers and woodpeckers drill sizeable holes in peoples wood siding.)

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

I have taken a few pictures here basically all from the same angle, just zooming in on each. Also, I took a pic of the branch we lost last year :mad:

Thanks for the insight regarding nutrient uptake. I'm just trying to think outside the box :)

I like the rubber snake idea.

So, any ideas on how to properly fill the hole, and what do you think about the location of the holes??

Thanks!

Kyle

Pardon my French, but Holy CRAP! :censored:

Have you seen this bird? Is it the size of a pterodactyl? If it is anything but an ivory-billed woodpecker, I'd be tempted to take strong measures. But depending on the area and bird, there can be serious penalties involved, so I won't recommend it.

I'm not even sure the old rubber snake trick will do (but worth a try). Can you determine how deep the hole is and how much holding wood is left around the hole?

This is nesting activity, not searching for bugs. And generally speaking, birds will take advantage of soften, decaying or decayed tissue.

I'm seeing dead tips on the leader where this hole is, so this leads me to believe there is something going on there that the bird has taken advantage of. I would recommend you call an arborist in your area to see what they can tell onsite. The tree might be able to be reduced, but you need to figure out precisely why this tree is showing signs of stress.

Sylvia

Last edited:
Hey Sylvia,

Sorry, I've been away for a few days.

I called a few arborists this morning to see if they can come out for a consultation, and the cheapest they will come out for is $150!!:mad: I just don't have the money for that right now.

Do you recommend I cut some of the higher (past the hole) branches off, in order to reduce weight up there and also to avoid the need for the tree to supply extra nutrients past the hole? Also, do you recommend I spray the inside of the hole with pruning spray?? :dizzy:

Please let me know what you think! I appreciate your help!

Kyle

There is nothing you can treat the hole with that will improve the situation. I would try the rubber snake trick. Put him in the hole with his head hanging out...can't hurt and won't cost much. We also want to discourage the woodpecker from simply going to another part of the tree. Some gardeners use shiny objects in their trees to discourage bird activity. Some use shiny silvery ribbon, others have used old CD's...my husband is saying something about eyeballs, but I won't go there.

Is the hole occupied at this time? Can you poke around a bit and tell if decay is present in the wood around the hole (on the inside)?

I am thinking you may have to resolve yourself to a shorter tree. But I am reluctant to tell you to start trimming off limbs. If you can determine that the decay, if present, has become extensive, you might want to contact a qualified tree care company for an estimate in reducing this tree to preclude the main limb from snapping off.

Many times companies will give free estimates (counting on getting money for the hired job) where consultations are charged. This is reasonable, as many times a consultation will run into quite a bit of time with no other work being generated. Do not disquise a consultation as an estimate request though, such as in asking for a free estimate, when all you really want is the advice on what to do yourself.

If you ask for an estimate you need to be prepared to say what you want done. They may offer some further suggestions and that is fine. But being fair, you can't expect to get free advice when this takes a lot of time to come out to an address, talk with the homeowner, perhaps write up the recommendations and then return to the office. I will say a $150 minimum sounds steep to me, but that may be regional variance.

Sylvia

Take Sylvia's advice, she know of what she speaks!

To reiterate, do NOT fill the hole with anything, or paint it or spray it. Trees deal with holes naturally through a process called compartmentalization of decay, and there is nothing you can do, paint or fill that will enhance this process. However if there is some serious decay going on, where the tree has not been able to contain the decay, then further measures are needed, and for this, yes, and arborist is the one to call.

I would not call anyone but a qualified electrician if there were sparks coming out of my fuse box, or I was getting shocks off the bath taps, and I would pay for the expert service. The same applies to trees, and especially if the tree is of value to you and your property.

It's a Mimosa. For crying out loud the peckers are doing you a favor by killing it now before it has a chance to really make a mess in your yard with those pretty flowery things the bees like so much. I say off with it's head, grind the stump and plant some tomatoes.

It's a Mimosa. For crying out loud the peckers are doing you a favor by killing it now before it has a chance to really make a mess in your yard with those pretty flowery things the bees like so much. I say off with it's head, grind the stump and plant some tomatoes.

I know this is not helpful. but ........................................... +1

They are an invasive species.

I was gonna suggest a good RWS 5mm air rifle, but lookee at the Chasm tweety put in the tree!!

A good RPG-7 or AT4 would be more appropriate.
Looks like Woody discovered anabolic Steroids!

All the same, a wrap with some 1/2" mesh wire fabric would be entertaining.

That Tree is a goner. Woodpeckers don't bother nesting in healthy trees. At least our normal ones don't..

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back