Woods Porting, What does it do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what woods porting is specifically, how it is done, and what effect it has on a saw? I see the term used a lot on this site but don't have a clue what it is. Thanks.

Maplemeister :confused:

Well if you like to read and do a search on "porting" "modded" "modifications" "woods ported" you will get enough info to answer your question a hundred times over.
In simple term it is modification to the stock muffler, a bit of whittling on some internal parts that leads to better charge induction and raised compression that will make a stock saw cut 25% or so faster as well as making it able to be heard for about a mile further. The need for speed once indulged in, is nearly impossible to shake, so be warned before you enter!:chainsaw:

Well if you like to read and do a search on "porting" "modded" "modifications" "woods ported" you will get enough info to answer your question a hundred times over.
In simple term it is modification to the stock muffler, a bit of whittling on some internal parts that leads to better charge induction and raised compression that will make a stock saw cut 25% or so faster as well as making it able to be heard for about a mile further. The need for speed once indulged in, is nearly impossible to shake, so be warned before you enter!:chainsaw:

That's why I am afraid to do it, then I will have to port all my saws, which isn't a problem if I do it myself. I know, I'm holding off the inevitable.

ok, I think I've got it. More power, more noise, appeals to the macho factor and can become highly addictive. I will do the search you recommended and hopefully won't develop any bad habits right away at least. Just trying to understand the subject right now. I know, I know, thats what everyone says in the beginning right? Ha Ha. Thanks for the input.

Maplemeister :chainsaw:

Back