Work picking up yet??????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkfin12us

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im here in northern new jersey.Since snow been slow.Did about 5 or 6 estimates in past 2 or 3 weeks did one job so far.Need a good storm.Weather was 54 degrees for first time hoping warmer weather brings some work how about others picking up ?

I was going to start a thread like this with working title, 'Phones been ringing off the hook' First line, 'with telemarketers trying to sell advertising!!!' Brutal day. My phone hasnt rang since Nov. One of the lanscapers that subs me calls today. Needs my help on an estmate. Biggest job Ive looked at in a while. 5 acre Oak forrest floor clean up, knock down the hazards . NO AREIAL!!! If it cant be dropped safely, leave it. Burn on site, no hauling, unless we want nice cherry, hickory, or Oak for our pile. We went thru the whole, this economy, spring underbidding competition speech, how you wanna bid it deal. Told the land scaper with the right insurence, couldnt be touched for less than xxxx per day. He figured xxx per day. I dont care cuz I'l get my rate no matter what. Do what you want, whether its a day price, hourly, or flat rate. Texts me less than 2 hours later. Told the ho 750 per day or 4900 out right. HO claims to have a price for 300 a day. wouldnt elaborate the details. Gonna be a fun year.=== Besides that tho, in the last 2 days, Ive seen a lot of guys out. Suns been shining, and that makes a difference. I havent seen anyone out at all since last fall, besides the big green and yellow, or thier new white subsidary, the former care of.

Last edited:
Yep been working every day for 2 weeks now. As of today I am almost 2 weeks out. The other night i was going through my note book from last season and made a list of about 30 customers that I know need more work done.

Get your books out and call some of your good customers to see how they are doing and to let them know your ready for another season. I tell them i have a early spring special going and see if they need anything done. you will get work.

My phone has been rather quiet. We've gone back to work, but still PT. Worked today, and gonna work tomorrow, have work for next week too. The problem is that the work we're doing right now is stuff that was booked for the winter, but had to be postponed due to snow. Only "new" work I've been getting is maintenance related, and I want nothing to do with that.

Wiorked ah alf day today and did 11 estimates this afternoon... phone startin to ring and my big ads don't even go in till next week! sold seven jobs on the spot... good day! now i'm trying for a good week!! lol

Most of the boys on the east side of our country are doing fine most of the time, as they tell it. Same with the guys on the other side. Those of us in the south and middle, contending with "certain elements" of our population, at large, are withering on the vine. When a job you properly bid for $1200 is done for $300 by four guys in a rickety pick-up truck, it's hard to keep going. I was going to post about going solo, which I may very well have to do just to get by, these days.

Any of you cut wayyy back, as in you're the company, now? Very curious. FWIW, many of my brothers, on here, whom I came to know over the years, those who lived and worked within four to six hours from me, are now off this board and out of business, thanks to the problem mentioned above. It just keeps getting worse.

spring underbidding competition speech,

Calls are picking up but I'm not selling much, I wasn't aware of a springtime underbidding deal, my prices are at least equivalent to, if not higher than last year's. Do companies usually bid lower in the spring to get rollin'? I guess that makes sense.

The past few days I've gotten about 5 calls a day. Pretty darn good for march I'd say. Most of them involve stumps, now if I could just get my greenteeth dealer to get the right pockets in...

going very well, just hired on 2 guys......thats fun!!!

but the low ball pickup types..thats gotta suck!! it will come around for those of you who are struggling, one thing Ive seen in my time at this is our work is feast or famine & cyclic to a fault! thats the bad thing about this trade!

LXT................

Target work pickup guys cant do... either jobs that need equipment or skill. We have a lot of hack competition over here, some have even got truck/chippers but they're still hacks, So when a customer calls and has a 50" silver maple i the back yard hanging over four neighboring properties and only a 36" gate for access,they cant bid reasonably and cant show ins.

Nate is right. We are staying very busy. About 10 days out right now. About 50% new customers and 50% repeat. Ive been in business 5 years now. Getting better every year. We are different from a lot of our competitors because of the quality of our work and the equipment we use. Keep up the good work!

Mike

Nate is right. We are staying very busy. About 10 days out right now. About 50% new customers and 50% repeat. Ive been in business 5 years now. Getting better every year. We are different from a lot of our competitors because of the quality of our work and the equipment we use. Keep up the good work!

Mike

hey mike you'll love your mitsu chip truck when its done! Mine is more manuverable than my pickup and gets better fuel mil;age!

Interesting to read how you guy's are doing, sort of like a geographical barometer of residential work. Make's me wonder how we would be if in the same boat.
Jeff :msp_smile:

Im trying to get in your boat! Going after commercial and HOA's this year. Rather maintain a bunch of small on a large property, than work on one big, in a back yard!

Latest posts

Back