Working ground around a tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a pin oak about a foot across at the stump. They let the place go and thier was some kind of bushes that was growing next to it that i cut down 3 big trailer loads to get it gone. They were on one side in a group. I have tryed several things to kill it and it keeps growing back and the ground is about a foot higher were they grow. I want dig up the roots and to level the ground. How deep can i go without hurting the Oak tree? I wish i would have pulled them now.

I have a pin oak about a foot across at the stump. They let the place go and thier was some kind of bushes that was growing next to it that i cut down 3 big trailer loads to get it gone. They were on one side in a group. I have tryed several things to kill it and it keeps growing back and the ground is about a foot higher were they grow. I want dig up the roots and to level the ground. How deep can i go without hurting the Oak tree? I wish i would have pulled them now.

What several things have you tried to kill it with? Im wondering if the oak got a taste of that too. The most important roots are in the top 12" of soil. How close were these bushes? Tree roots are known to grow out past the canopy of the tree. They grow out not down.

The first is around 3' and the last maybe 12'. Me yard is flat in the back and slopes down hill right were the tree is and the bushes stumps make a ledge. If i could dig up some of them it would help.

I thought bushes had died but they are greening up. If i cover them up with something would die or just come back when they were uncovered?

Are there any stumps left from the bushes? I pull them out with the tractor if possible. I think mechanical damage is better than chemical damage when it comes to oak root systems

Are there any stumps left from the bushes? I pull them out with the tractor if possible. I think mechanical damage is better than chemical damage when it comes to oak root systems
Mechanical damage can kill the tree. If you are digging by machine you may be too close already. Impossible to say more without pics. :msp_mellow:

Cutting low and smothering typically works.

Back