Working some 160'ers.... Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtHawg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Our Groundmen praticing some rope tricksbefore we start. These guys are serious.

Grounded.jpg

Going up..

Hangingsteele.jpg

Getting it on.

Setting the blocks before we cut the Static line.

Staticline.jpg

Looking down at two of our Groundsmens head. Their hanging on and in there.

Lookingdown.jpg

ouch

Looking down between my legs from 160'. Those two lines are carrying 52,000 volts and is live... And you thought that you had a lot hanging between your legs...:D

160footer.jpg

---------------------------------

Sorry for the bad pics. I used a $5.00 Click n Toss camera to get the photos. The static off of these towers is like getting a good jolt of 120 V when you bond onto to them and I am afraid that it would fry my Digital cameras electronics.

These were taken on the job we are doing in VA last week and like it says the towers are 160 or 165 footers.. I am loving it..

Some of you ask for a few photos from the top of the towers.
So enjoy and stay safe up their..

Jonny
Like I say.
The only difference in 2 foot and 1000. It just takes you longer to get up their.
I love climbing steele (except when you have to knock the ice off of it).

We have over 100 miles of new construction getting under way. That will take about two years to complete. Those towers will be 175 footers. All of the towers steele is being hauled in now to the area where they will be assemblied. Then flown to the pad and set by helicopters.

They are going to use helicopters to string the lines also. That will be something new to me. We will have to hang the line in the pulleys and then a dozer will pull and winch it to the correct tension. Then we will just have to attach it to the insultators.

Right of way clearing will soon start I have not heard who will get the contract for that yet. But it will be a lot of chainsaw work for someone. If I had the equipment to handle such a job. I would do it just for the timber and pulp wood. You could make a killing selling as much wood that will be needed to clear a 100 mile right of way.

Oh yea. We will be firing some line and groundsmens. I will only say that a groundsman pay starts at $21.00 per hour.

If you look closely at the pics of where we are setting the blocks and "at the top". You will see a smaller line. Actually there are two lines that acts as static lines. Some have a cross over bracket that allows the lines to cross over and form an X without touching each other. We are removing the cross overs and setting the lines so that they are running parallel. We must connect the lines to the rope. Cut the lines and let them down to the ground. Set the new brackets and reset the static lines. We just have a 12' window to keep the static lines from coming in contact with the live wires or the area where the electricity can jump to ground. During this operation. Our lives are in the hands of the groundsmen.

We also change out the steele supports, guy lines or the insulators on the main transmission lines. Every part on the towers is numbered and when we get to a tower. A computer print out will tell us what needs to be done for that tower.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We came down for lunch while working this tower one day. The old lady and her Husband that lives in the house that can barely be seen in one photo comes out with what looked like a 5 gallon bucket of Pinto Beans, corn bread, oinions, and at least 15 lbs of ham and four apple pies that she cooked up for us.
Needless to say.
We were so stuffed from all of that great food that we did not get much done after lunch..:)

I watched a crew raise an existing tower one time. They built a section on the ground then went up and cut all four corners about the middle of an existing tower while lifting the top section with a crane then had another crane set the section they had built from the ground in and then replaced the top section. There was a little more to it than that but impressive to watch. I think they needed extra clearance for a highway going through.

DirtHawg, Where can I get an application?

Mike C

Latest posts

Back