Workmans Comp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay Hypothetically Speaking The Law here states i technically do not need WC
unless i have more than 3 employees.
Okay If i hire a groundie and have no WC and he Gets proper training but at that whacks himself with a chainsaw Whats happens to me liability wise?Do i pay the Emergency room bill,his time out ect?

If your paying him, your responcable. Without insurance he could own everything you own.Believe me get some kind of insurance.He could be living in your home. Then you could go work for him.(or her )

That was what i thought. I guess the most cost conservative way to hire is thru
a Temp agency.

Or you can do what the c.i.a. does:

If he complains, talks, or gets hurt.....kill him.

There are clauses in some policies that cover time-off or protect you from unreasonable liability, read everything and shop carefully. Contract labor is doable, for short time periods or maximum income allowed that limit his employment bennies, but there again some limits are noted. One thing to consider in this litigious society is that no matter how expensive or detailed a policy is (including state mandated protocols) he can still sue. It breaks down to who has the better attorney, the suit-wearing shyster that can convince a jury if the glove fits or not. Release of Liability forms, no matter how impressive the language within are all useless.

WE're kind of in a corner on this matter. I suggest that for total protection, at least so you can reasonably sleep well, is get them covered. It sucks running a business, that's why I work alone.

I have a buddy who runs everyone through an agency. teh charge him 33% of payroll and he does not even have to write out any checks.

One thing you can do here with pople you trush is pay through the agency a low wage, then a bonus under the table. So you hire your buddy the fireman to drag for you on his off days an he gets 9/hr with the agency and you give him 5/hr on the way home. W/c is covered, payroll taxes are covered and overhead is held down. You also have something to write off at Y/E, not being totaly in the gray market, and buddy gets some tax free dough.

Insurance is CYA. Lets not look at worst case, say he twists an ankle, you got DR.'s bills and have to keep him on the payroll. If you were the injured party, you would want to have it happen.

I know John thats why i dont let anyone work with me but my wife and brother inlaw .But the job we are discussing will
require at least a few Temp Tards.

Latest posts

Back