Would like to start milling some 2x4, 4x4 2x10,12 etc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatbroke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'd like to start milling some wood for a hobby. I have access to pretty much as much OAK trees as I can handle. I have a 480 CD 24 inch bar, and husky 262. Looking at getting a bigger Husky was well. I want to buy something that is relatively simple to set up, and doesn't cost a whole bunch. 500-1000k to see if I like doing the milling. There are so many options out there for mill stuff I'm not sure what is the best route. Hoping you folks that have been doing it could guide me right.

Id like to make some cutting boards and maybe a coffee table, end table type stuff. I have, trailers, skid steer and 4x4 tractor with bucket, forklift and hoists.

Been trying to research the various mills. it appears that the panther II is pretty easy to use for slabs. How do you cut the slabs down in to specific widths afterwards? is there another type of mill for that?

I have a Granberg 48" mill and I'm very pleased with it. Costs about $300. A bigger saw is definitely a plus especially if you want to run longer bars. I run a Stihl ms661 with 28" and 36" bars.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Been trying to research the various mills. it appears that the panther II is pretty easy to use for slabs. How do you cut the slabs down in to specific widths afterwards? is there another type of mill for that?
Granberg makes a Mini Mill. Track fastens to a board and a jig clamps to the saw and is pushed along the track. I don't have one yet but will definitely be getting one in the future.

I have a 12" sliding miter saw that I busted the aluminium deck on. I plan on mounting it on 2 rails to rip straight edges on live edge boards. Like the sliding circular saws in the big box stores for cutting plywood. I've tried to rip straight edges on my table saw but the boards are too heavy and I'm too far away from the cut to see and keep it straight. I have a Haddon Lumber Maker, which is similar to the mini mill Brian mentioned, it works OK. A chain saw mill is a job specific tool, it shines at making thick, wide, live edge boards. It is the wrong tool to make 2X4's and 2X6's, you'll have more in fuel than the cost of buying new boards.

I won't comment on tools I haven't used, so I would advise that you do a search on here about the mill you mentioned, there have been issues brought up here for years, that have not seemed to have been addressed, Joe.

Joe makes some great points. I love my mill for live edge slabs but for dimensional lumber, it's not the best option. Not to discourage you, just giving facts. There's plenty of good info available here. If you enjoy this type of work, it's certainly very enjoyable. I'll be glad to help you more if I can.

Back