Would you give wood away?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I have a hard time giving chips away for free although sometimes I have to.

Okaaay...what do you do with your daily truckload of chips? Turn it into mulch and sell it?

Very few companies can pull that off around here. And nobody here pays for wood chippings, either. Everybody seems to know that they can get all the chips they want for free.

I've had quite a few times where it was very un-economical to make trips to get the wood away from the job site. I ran an add on Craigslist, selling pickup loads of cut, green, unsplit for $35-$55 a load depending on the wood and size of the truck. Worked every time, and a few times had more demand than wood. On 1 Oak I made almost as much in firewood as I did on the tree removal. Other times, I just keep it for my woodstove, once I have more than enough, I sell it as unsplit. If I know of someone hurting for wood due to money issues, I give it to them real cheap. If it's for a veteran I'll give it away for cost of gas if I have to deliver.

I have had a few folks suggest that I talk to local tree care companies about having them dump their wood at my place for free. They have told me that "the tree companies" have to pay to dump the trees they remove.

The question is: Is this for real? Would you dump your logs at someone's property for free? If so, what is the best way for me to approach a tree company with this question?

I had a friend who would give me all the oak, pecan, hickory etc that I could use, and let me borrow his splitter as well. He said it saved him time having to haul it off, and pay to dump it.

I have since moved away so we don't do that any more, but it was good times.

Full page ads,excuse me get your phone book out I do run a full page ad,And on the back page coupons 2fer1.And I would gladly Give all my wood away.And do.Wood in apita.as far as processors my last 2 got deported.
But seriously a man with a full page ad I believe would be more apt to get the wood out the way so they can move on to the next gig.
I dont see what advertising dollars has to do with firewood.

Well I don't have any Arkansas phone books laying around but when I find one I'll check. As far as ad dollars and their correlation...

Generally speaking ( and yes this is only from my local tree service experience ) the guys that can afford to spend the big bucks on ads also can afford to spend the big bucks on equipment.

Some of the competition in my area, Akron, will cut the stuff up and leave it at the curb with or with out wood boogas ready to come and get it. I have seen more drop and goes this past year as more people are burning as well as more potential customers thinking that the value of their trees warrants a much cheaper removal price cause I will be getting all of that firewood for free. Unfortunately, a centuries long curse between my bloodline and the firewood fairy means I have to cut, split, stack, and season all of my own wood. Most of the wood that is given away is nasty stuff to burn or only suitable for an OWB.

Well I don't have any Arkansas phone books laying around but when I find one I'll check. As far as ad dollars and their correlation...

Generally speaking ( and yes this is only from my local tree service experience ) the guys that can afford to spend the big bucks on ads also can afford to spend the big bucks on equipment.

I know what you were getting at blakesmaster:
And a lot of it depends on your geographical area,I see wood has more of a value in other parts of the country than it does here.
I,ll send ya phone book so we can keep in touch,man I,m tired of climbing that pole.lol

I know what you were getting at blakesmaster:
And a lot of it depends on your geographical area,I see wood has more of a value in other parts of the country than it does here.
I,ll send ya phone book so we can keep in touch,man I,m tired of climbing that pole.lol

I don't doubt that wood tends to have a bit more value here in the cold Northeast. Plus, it's a fairly rural area near me so a lot of people burn it and want more. Most of the larger companies have processors and sell it as their winter income. I ( as a smaller owner/operator ) pretty much just try to sell what we get, if that don't happen I give it to my old man. I'll come down to AR and climb for you, if ya can't hack it any more. lol

I take a lot of my woodchips and mix them with brew waste and restaurant scraps and make compost. This compost either gets used in my garden or sold back to customers for mulching or vertical mulching. But yeah I have to give a lot of chips away. It makes me sad though cause I know how sweet they are.

Back