Wound sealing announcement and request

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about time spans in wound healing...it would certainly depend on the type of wound, plant, environment, and threat. I do know that the vascular cells in this particular beast begin to immediately seal or exude a protoplasm, which in itself may be a factor in attracting a feeding habit. If you look close, there is both exudate (sap) oozing out and suction (phloem) taking in. Innoculating a tree would be possible only if a successful "inhale" occurred in the moments before complete vascular closure. I estimate a couple hours, max - for this disease and it's vectors on these trees. Viruses and other nasty pathogens on other plants I know nothing about, except for me and my body.

Years ago, the FS did a stimulating/response test measuring hormonal activity as a signalling mechanism from one dislocated tree to another, hundreds of meters away. They beat the crap out of one pine, and studied the other one - found amazingly rapid changes in levels of all sorts of suspected and newly discovered signal pathways and componants. What isn't understood from that test is how in the dickens the tree told the other tree that some nasty crap's about to happen, better get ready and grow some more cell walls, fast. In this case they suspected the response was to supplement the necessary elements to strengthen the opposing celluloid architecture to defend against a high-wind lean force. Kind of like gravitational
response. There are signals that perhaps cannot be isolated and identified for they may not be chemically constructed, but spectral related as in light frequency wavelengths. Ohmmmm, and stuff like that. Wanna get a real buzz? Look at some Kerlian photos of a rosebush before, during, and after pruning. Heavy, eh?

Yeah.

Okay Michelle, got ya. Going to try to find some little (and bigger) beetle eaters. Wonder if I keep them contained under controlled conditions for a few days they might get real hungry? We'll see.

Been outta the loop for a couple years, you know if anyone has i.d.'d a pseudomonas threat (socially acceptable) to C. f yet?

Okay, gotta go and drink some beers. Pete died, you know that?

Latest posts

Back