Wow, the new Silky Hayate 20'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrueger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Gee, it is a manley tool. A bit heavy and for those trees you can't climb and you hate orchard ladders like me, it's great. I have a buch of small, 25' trees to do tomorrow and it should do it all just fine.

I'm not sure about the sickle part of the blade for small branches and I'll master it. This is a great x-mass, ya.

Anyone else have this one? Any comments?

Jack

They are great if you have a lot of low work to do, but they are fragile. Everyone I know who has gotten one has had some sort of damage. Mine got run over by a truck and is pretty much useless right now.

That bottom bleage has two uses, it will score the underside of a branch so it will be ,less likely to tear, and you can just slice off sprouts and you infered. though if the branch is thich enough, it can dent the knife edge.

Thanks JPS, good to know, I'm not prone to run over anythig big with the truck. However I totaly destroyed a cell phone this summer. Actually crsushed the camera lens with a stone still embeded when I found it. (Ha)

Jack

I have Silky's last 21 polesaw, the Hayauchi. Alround it a good saw. The saw itself lives up to Silky's reputation, but I have gotten frustrated at their locking devices. So I hope for your sake that the new saw has been improved. There's nothing more frustrating than having to spend more time setting up the saw than what it takes to do the actual cut!!!! But with that said, the saw has paid for itself and I don't really regret having purchased it......

tshanefreeman said:
I have Silky's last 21 polesaw, the Hayauchi. Alround it a good saw. The saw itself lives up to Silky's reputation, but I have gotten frustrated at their locking devices. So I hope for your sake that the new saw has been improved. There's nothing more frustrating than having to spend more time setting up the saw than what it takes to do the actual cut!!!! But with that said, the saw has paid for itself and I don't really regret having purchased it......

The first use of the Hayate, 4 25-30 pear trees. Gee, you need a license to move around with it. :)

Yes, the little locking bearings were a little sticky, enough to use some bad language. And I think it is just new. After the first set up with it all went fine.

It has already paid for itself. And I'm happy with it.

Jack

Has anyone used bot saws?

I was looking at Butch's link and it seems a tad beefier then the hayauchi (which is the one i have). Allong with the syckle being removable (another good thing) and only loosing a foot of working hight.

Back