wraptor work flow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking at getting a wraptor since I seem to be turning down trimming work on big trees quite a bit lately, plus I'm getting fat. I used to take these sort of jobs on, but I find they just suck up way too much time. We get these sorts of jobs where there may be 4 or 5 trees on the same property over 100' tall, and they want deadwooding or trimming for property clearance. The typical work flow is the set a TIP, get up high in the crown,haul up rigging and lowering ropes, set rigging as needed, descend to the area that needs work, do the work, get back up to the TIP and remove the rigging and get out of the tree.

Honestly, by the second or third one I'm pretty much screwed. Even on the first one I need to catch my breath at the top before doing any work. It's a real struggle to get 4 or 5 trees like that done in a day, and even if I can push myself to it I'm too exhausted the next day to do anything but light work. It's not such a problem on big removals because you tend to do only the one big removal in a day if it's technical work, and you're on spikes too. I can keep a 4 or 5 man crew on their toes with big removals, but for trimming work I'm definitely the weakest link in our production.

What I'm wondering, for you guys who are using wraptors is how do you organise the climb? Setting a TIP and getting in the tree is pretty straightforward enough, but once you set your rigging and descend to the work area, are you taking the machine with you? How are you doing this? Are you using a base tie off and having a groundie lower it down to you when you need it? Or lowering it off to the ground yourself then having it sent back up again on a messenger line?

It would be sweet to have that whole deal of being able to get in the tree quickly and without personal effort, then be able to get back to the ground to give a hand with cutting up, dragging or just getting a cold drink but I haven't worked out how you get the machine back down to the ground again when you might be working 60~80' below the TIP. Any and all insights appreciated.

Shaun

Hey Shaun, I know how you feel re deadwooding/pruning multiple big trees in a day (can you remember pruning any E. oreades - Blue Mountains Ash?) My solution is to use a second climber for the less technical work. Let me know if you want an extra climber for a day and I can book in a day now that it's cooling down in Sydney...

Steve

Shaun said "plus, I'm getting fat."
I don't think the Wraptor is going to fix that. If it did, I would find the money for one myself!
I see what you are asking about. How to take best advantage of the Wraptor when needing to make multiple trips from TIP to work height and back.
I will be interested in seeing how users are doing it.

Hey Shaun, I know how you feel re deadwooding/pruning multiple big trees in a day (can you remember pruning any E. oreades - Blue Mountains Ash?) My solution is to use a second climber for the less technical work. Let me know if you want an extra climber for a day and I can book in a day now that it's cooling down in Sydney...

Steve

Hi Steve,
That's a very generous offer. And you wouldn't want any money or anything? I could really use a second climber who was willing to work for free.

Before leaving the Wraptor make sure it has a good clear path for lowering to the ground. Don't Wraptor all the way to the crotch which supports the Wraptor or you may find when you take your weight off of the system the Wraptor gets pulled into the crotch hard.

Good point about factoring the stretch in when getting off the device. You can get caught out the same way on ascenders going up to a rope that was isolated with a running bowline from the ground.

So I'm guessing you don't ever get to ascend back to the TIP from the work zone, you always drop down to the ground, lower off the device yourself, then re-ascend? That's not a bad way of doing it though, and sounds like it would be pretty quick too. I'm not a huge fan of base tie offs and if I'm on SRT I try to set the rope up with a running bowline if I'm able to isolate the TIP. Seems like the base tie off is pretty much the way to go with the wraptor though otherwise its a PITA lowering off the device yourself once you're at your TIP so you can have it back on the ground again.

Thanks Del_ that answers my questions. Seems like I'm needing to do more short up and down trips in the tree between my work and my rigging. Maybe I need to rethink my process.

Hi Steve,
That's a very generous offer. And you wouldn't want any money or anything? I could really use a second climber who was willing to work for free.

A fair exchange for all your free advice regarding main bearing etc on 250xp. I have a few days available week beginning 17th March if you want a free climber for the day. PM me. Steve

Latest posts

Back