WWAD? (What would arborist Do?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
See attached pics (if it worked) of skinned maple tree. Vehicular damage.

I advised client keep the bark attached to the tree around the skinned area. Usually I try to find the missing pcs and staple or nail them back onto the tree with a "moist bandage" for a while.
This can only be accomplished if the bark is replaced while the injury is fresh or new. In this case, the bark pcs were so small, they could not be re-attached.

Any other suggestions? thanks

A few months ago someone had a similar situation mentioned in the residential forum. Someone here suggested wrapping the FRESH wound with plastic wrap, like Saran Wrap or something. This would act like a moisture barrier and hopefully keep the wood from drying out and dying. It would also hold loose bark in place. This would be a temporary bandage, probably 2-3 months max.
I do not know if this was done or what the results were.

I'm with Sean on this one.

What about scribing wounds? Saran Wrap? You've got to be kidding me...

Nickrosis

Nice job Sean!

Saran could trap moisture all around, also create incubator i think. Seen some bandages made with spanish moss packing (that is plentiful down here) down here i've wondered about. Seen where it might be considered a clean, protecting natural, breathing bandage. Don't know how that would do in that diffrent environment! Might ask the more biologically proficient around here about that, though. Might even be more favorable a strategy, in our untypical greenhouse climate.

This is a perfect wound for plastic wrap.
Studies have shown faster wound closure. The plastic should be wrapped tight and left for about 3 months. Go right around the trunk and attach with a little tape.
The plastic traps ethylene, produced by the tree in the area between the tree and the plastic, this is what is thought to speed the healing.
Nick, weren't you at TCI?

Depending on the time between wounding and examination I would use a combination of the methods mentioned, reattachment of torn bark (no brass nails though, they are toxic) plastic wrap (have not done that yet) and wait to see what the tree does befor srcibing any torn bark.

Though i'm now mixed as to the populations of european erwigs found under loose bark. Some are wondering if they will not help reduce decay incidance since they do not eat sound wood.

Bridge Grafting.

If the tree is considered of sufficient value and you have a little luck.

We hade a bad year with Vole damage a while back. Lots of completely girdled trees. Younger than this but it should still work.

Check out the
Grafters Handbook
R.J.Garner
East Malling Research Station
Published by
The Royal Horticultural Society

I've had success nailing the displaced bark back on the tree with some brads. Some scribing required.

And if you're not wearing PPE while doing tree work.......you're friggin' nuts.

At this time of year and with the evidence of snow on the ground, the chances of the bark still being in the slipping state is highly unlikely. Number one reason, if there is frozen snow on the ground, the inter/intra-cellular water will be frozen also. If the wound is not slippery to the touch it has dried out and the chances for the loose bark to reattach are next to none. Therefore, I would bark trace the wound.

As for the plastic wrap, I must say that I was intreged when I heard the idea mentioned at TCI, but without personal experimentation, I will not comment! But may try on a woodland tree for kicks some day.............this way the customer can't come back at me for some unorthodox wives tale.........j/k :D

what about a live oak

what about wounds like the maple on a live oak? We have always sprayed the wounds in the field (to help prevent spread of oak wilt). Do the trees need the bark replaced if possible?

better send car to body shop! just jokin lol,from what iv'e seen theres no sure cure for that problem,who ever said to get a value on the tree andtry to get compensated for damages,thats about the only cure,give about10 20 years and figure on cuttin it down or get rid of it know and get another one started. the last answer would depend on the owners age , and how long is the person going to be living on that property

Back