Wye oak cabling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have had the opportunity to work on a couple of large oaks here along Green Lake, and while they are not in the Wye oak category, yet, i would like to think that with some proper attention, they too could double their age of which has to be over 200 years.

I would like to get some information from someone who knows about the tree, and cabling of lateral branches. I removed two dead limbs from the one oak, and one lateral (roughly14 to 16 inches in diameter) is a bit hollow, yet very succulent and alive to the tips. The trunk is solid (35" dbh), and so is the upper canopy. I'd like not to lose this limb, as the canopy is fairly even at the time.

I did search on the wye oak, and have read wuite a bit on the history, but need to go to the next step. These people have quite a bit of change, and would be willing to go to many ends to preserve the trees.

Thank you.

Gopher

Tom Terrific

I am waiting on the download of chapter 5 right now, but thank you, Tom, for once again knowing where to look and search out data.

See you in Baltimore!

Gopher

Wye oak soils information?

If anyone has done the soils analysis on this Wye Oak (or any other prominant, veteran trees), I am interested in analysing them. I would eventually like to get an extensive file put together to assist us in deciding why a tree can be long lived, and our beautiful earth holds many of the answers.

Thanks.

Gopher

Tom,

That first document you posted: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/uf/utrmm/index.htm ;(you know the one you helped research and write.....), has become one of my most popular referals to a tree site, for everyone from concerned citizen, amateur and pro tree men, construction, community planning etc. Truly, truly a great referance for all. i kinda think ya should make sure McQ has that on her site, as well as your other efforts....

Latest posts

Back