X27 technique???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't have to swing harder with the X 27; I couldn't tell ya how many times I put the X 27 in the ground the first few times I used it

Got mine last spring and really working it through this fall - It's definitely the swing speed, but also have to test the wood at hand. I STILL am going through to ground even after 'dialing it back" and put more than a couple good nicks in it from the rocks that seem to grow the best here.

I have a 6 and 8 pound maul and ive always swung overhead, I didnt know that wasnt the norm.

I have a 6 and 8 pound maul and ive always swung overhead, I didnt know that wasnt the norm.

I think off to the side swings came about from some guys, like me, that can't handle that heavy of a weight for very long overhead, and the more importantly "el kabong" factor when you get an unexpected loose maul head impacting the bonehead.

With that said, obviously it can work quite well, it's just not common, most guys swing a traditional maul right or left handed off to the side.

Overhead myself with a twist at impact. Bend the knees and keep the handle lower than the head and you'll keep it out of your ankle.

I think off to the side swings came about from some guys, like me, that can't handle that heavy of a weight for very long overhead, and the more importantly "el kabong" factor when you get an unexpected loose maul head impacting the bonehead.

With that said, obviously it can work quite well, it's just not common, most guys swing a traditional maul right or left handed off to the side.

Gotcha. I'm a young buck so I usually work harder not smarter(maybe someday ill learn). The thought of the head coming off has crossed my mind more than once.

Gotcha. I'm a young buck so I usually work harder not smarter(maybe someday ill learn). The thought of the head coming off has crossed my mind more than once.

The same stance works well either new light or old heavy if you can "swing" it. Put a sharp edge and maybe reshape that maul head, and you will get a supersplitter magnum turbo effect on your rounds! As long as you pay attention to that maul head and how it is fixed on, shouldn't be a problem! I can do it, overhead maul swing, just not for very long. BAM! It works... and after about a dozen swings like that for me..ehhh..where's my stand in stunt double??

With the fiskars, as long as I feel like it. It is neither hard nor tiring at all really, because the fiskars is half the head and handle weight.

I can still hold an axe or sledge at the end of the handle out full length (well, to be honest I have to choke up a few inches now with the sledge) and gradually let it down to kiss my nose, but dang....it used to be real easy for me, now..I just don't think so, I can just barely and awkwardly and with much sweating and nervousness do it..and I am going to stop even trying real soon now.....(not that I recommend anyone do a stupid human stunt like that, just sayin'...I know it is completely and absolutely retarded, just a lame young guy thing I saw done decades ago and tried it.)

I'm very happy with my Fiscars X27 bit I still use the 6 lbs maul 50-50. I actually use the same overhead swing with both.

Now I'm trying to figure out what will be the next evoluation of the splitting maul. We are saying that with the Fiscars, speed is doing the work. Maybe a new graphite shaft like a golf club where the flexible shaft is use to increase the velocity of the golf club.

Will Fiscars be the first to become the Big Bertha in the firewood world:hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe I should apply for a patend

Last edited:
Will Fiscars be the first to become the Big Bertha in the firewood world:hmm3grin2orange:

Nah, a Bertha, specially a Big Bertha, is much more a Swedish thing.

brunhilde_fat-lady-sings.jpg

The Finnish perfection would be more a White Ghost...you'd just walk outside after a snowstorm one night and find all the wood split up without ever having heard a thing.

I'm very happy with my Fiscars X27 bit I still use the 6 lbs maul 50-50. I actually use the same overhead swing with both.

Now I'm trying to figure out what will be the next evoluation of the splitting maul. We are saying that with the Fiscars, speed is doing the work. Maybe a new graphite shaft like a golf club where the flexible shaft is use to increase the velocity of the golf club.

Maybe I should apply for a patend

Put me on your mailing list for a graphite fiber handle, advanced design and wicked exotic alloy head splitting axe!

Latest posts

Back