xp90 vs bc1000xl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I've got a small truck. It's 16,000lbs GVM, with a 6,600lb legal carry. It can only tow 4,400lbs. If i tow anything heavier than that, the additional weight comes off my legal carry. The bin is 8 cubic yards. My buddy has a bigger truck with a 20 cube bin, and a badnit 1890 and we work together 2 or 3 days a week so that has be sorted for bigger trees and jobs with a lot of smaller stuff. What I'm looking for is a small chipper for pruning work and small trees. 12" would be nice, but I could settle for 9" if i had to.

I've looked and looked at all the chippers I can. There are almost no 12" chippers that weigh in at 4,400lbs. 150xp is 5,500. Austchip is 6,000lbs+. The older bc1000xl with the fibreglass hood is 4400, and the xp90 is 4,400. I've used the BC1000xl and I thought it wasn't a bad chipper. It has its limitations like every machine, and not having lift and crush sucks.... but you can work around it. How does the XP90 stack up? There aren't may around here.

Alternatively, any other suggestions for a machine around 4,400lbs?

Shaun

yeah I would look into the weight issue you are talking about, however I have owned both those chippers & I would go with the 90xp hands down!!!!

LXT................

I was trying to make this thread about chippers rather than towing regulations since I'm in aus and the laws and terms probably aren't the same. For those interested though.....

In aus we use the terms Tare, GVM and GCM. You can legally carry your GVM minus your Tare. Your Tare includes the driver and passenger. You can legally tow anything that weighs less than your vehicles Tare, so long as you stay under your GCM. So if you want to tow a 5tonne chipper you need at least a 5tonne truck. If the trailer you are towing weighs more than your GCM minus your GVM, then the difference comes off what you can carry.

My truck has an 8800 Tare, a 14,400 GVM and a 18,800 GCM, roughly. We measure everything in kg over here so I'm roughing th numbers out for you statesiders. This means so long as I'm towing less than 4,400 trailer I can carry 6600 in the truck. If my trailer weighs more than 4400 I can carry less chip. It's still workable, but if you've got a full load you'll have to leave the chipper at site and go dump or risk a fine fro DOT. Plus I've only got 115hp. So I'd rather keep the chipper small.

You'd really take a 9" over a 12"? (xp90 over bc1000xl) they're the same weight and similar in price over here used. The bc1000xl is a little pricier.

Shaun

I'd go with the 12" machine if at all possible. I'm not a Vermeer fan, but generally bigger is better.

EDIT- I was just on Bandits site and they show a model 200uc that's 12" and weighs 4500 pounds. Anyone know about it? I've never heard of it before :msp_confused:

Last edited:
We are in the market for a smaller chipper as well. We were talking with Bandit about the 200UC. The UC stands for Utility Chipper. It is aimed at companies like Asplundh. It is lighter than the 200XP because of a lighter frame and axle. The salesman told us that you cant get a winch as an option so they dont put a winch mount on it, which allows them to put a lighter duty axle, which allows them to keep the cost and weight of the machine down. It was significantly cheaper than just about all other 12" Bandit chippers. It was even cheaper than a 90XP with a 80hp diesel engine. We never demoed it but it was on the top of our list.

We are actually now leaning towards the Vermeer 900. We demoed it and it works very well for what it is. We have many reasons for pretty much deciding on the 900 but weight of the machine is a huge factor. It weighs in at 2990lbs. Very nice machine for the price.

We are in the market for a smaller chipper as well. We were talking with Bandit about the 200UC. The UC stands for Utility Chipper. It is aimed at companies like Asplundh. It is lighter than the 200XP because of a lighter frame and axle. The salesman told us that you cant get a winch as an option so they dont put a winch mount on it, which allows them to put a lighter duty axle, which allows them to keep the cost and weight of the machine down. It was significantly cheaper than just about all other 12" Bandit chippers. It was even cheaper than a 90XP with a 80hp diesel engine. We never demoed it but it was on the top of our list.

We are actually now leaning towards the Vermeer 900. We demoed it and it works very well for what it is. We have many reasons for pretty much deciding on the 900 but weight of the machine is a huge factor. It weighs in at 2990lbs. Very nice machine for the price.

Whats the price on the 900? Just comparing it to our Canadian prices.

We were not looking but they said a 600 was about $10k. We are still kind of (but not really) considering a 1000at $32k.

Bc230xl

Hi i am from the netherlands and we have à Vermeer BC230XL a new model it is as good as à bc1000 but it is not so heavy and it has à turning tabel

Latest posts

Back