xtremegear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's my gear, it's bout worn out.
The torn threads are a result of a log sticking to my saw and dragging me 40 feet down a stobb.
My bar bent at a right angle or 90 degrees and released the log. Other wise I would not be here.
This is the right side of my saddle. The log only torn the threads here.
To prevent this happening again. I never cut high on my notch and always disconnect.

For more safety and continuing to rule out anything that can go wrong while working aloft, I've incorporated redundancy into my saw lanyard.
I suspect this gear to breakaway from me at around 300 lbs.

The key chain carabiner is the weakest link yet substanial enuff to support the weight of my saw.

Last edited:
This Gibbs spring tensioner is broken. I use it as a backup for my prussic when spikeless climbing

Two round turns and two half hitches.
Ole time sailors say, "the knot will hold the devil"

Xtreme-Please explain how the saw became stuck to the log to such a degree that it drug you down 40ft., not giving you a hard time, maybe your answer could help this from happening to me. Thanks.

If you want to try a good saw lanyard, this is the best there is...

1037315576-1831.jpg

I've never used a saw lanyard except when using a bigger saw. For my top handle, just the 6" leash choked on the rear handle. I clip it to my belt when not using it and unclip it to use it. If my saw ever gets snatched by a log, it ain't gonna take me with it. If I'm using a big saw that's attached to me, I am very careful and precise when making my notches and back cuts. And I'll pull the saw back a bit when the piece starts to go.

Oh, I've dropped two saws in my climbing career. One was snatched by a cracked limb (never cut through a crack if avoidable) and the other was just a mistake on my part and I let it get knocked out of my hand. I was mad that I dropped it, but I['d still never cut with the saw strapped to my saddle. The saw lanyards always seem to get in my way as well.

I like the one with the fat 12 mm bungee in it. It's not tearaway. Like Rocky, I rarely cut with it attached to the lanyard. The key here is EZ on, EZ off, without having to look to do it (of course, that's not required, or recommended but the ability is what matters).

The fatter bungee allows a 395 to still have a slight bounce, though it does tension out fully and max the webbing. I'm going into my 9th year with the same one, a good 'ol friend and one of the more important componenents on my saddle.
attachment.php

Extremetrees, you told us about your gear, but are you all right. Did ya scrape yer g'noidals or any thing? Any xylemberries?

yhst-77492104710481_1879_2475463

i've seen someone just have that permanently on the saddle, and they just clip the handle of the chainsaw to it.

that way you are never connected when you cut, and its easy as hell to put it on your belt....what do you guys think

If you drill out the ball in a Petzl William, it simply converts it from a triple-lock to a double lock.
That's my all-time favorite biner for the attaching of a chainsaw, ever so smooth.

Here's the best picture I could find of my chainsaw lanyard,
and how and where it's mounted to the saddle (purdy clever, eh?)

attachment.php

Here's another pic. I only have three that I know of.

Hunky chunky saddle; Rocky laughs.

Actually it's shy by 3 or 4 slings.

Xtremetrees, sorry to have so totally derailed the thread about you schcraiping the face of a tree with you.

I don't think the guys want to hear about your various chafe marks, that's where this thread really took a turn.

Are you OK, though?

attachment.php

I took the top on the pine and then a pulpwood piece @ about 80 feet. The husky 55 was plenty of power so I decided to push a log. Came down 10 feet cut a notch and pushed. I CUT TO HIGH ON MY NOTCH, approximately 2.5 inches above level to my notch, pushing a 30 incher with all I had.
"KONCK! I heard the piece break and set down as it began to go. I knew instantly my saw was stuck in whats called the kerf. I began pulling violently!
I was pulled totally around the stubb first, then down 40 feet before I jammed my spikes in hard, my knees buckled but held. I'll load pics of the leather on my spikes that ripped. The bar looked like the letter "L".
I called down for a bar, climbed back up and finished the tree.

I now almost always cut level with my notch, as well as disconnect.

I agree a saw lanyard that breaksaway at a set poundage is what needs to be on market, but due to liability it will never be for sale.

This was during my 5th year back in 99'

1984 noob
The large hook attached to the saddle is great, Buckingham should sew in onto all of them they sell.

TM
You gear is worn as mine.lol thanks for the pics and ideas.

Squerwl
I'd say 80% of the climbers today use a saw lanyard and it hangs below or at the knees. Most just tie a rope, and forget to or become lethargic and dont disconnect all the time. Many cut verticle snap cuts and just dump the saw on the lanyard.

Not even a scratch bro.
Luckily my gear held, my knees held, and the bar bent.

If the bar had not bent my legs would have gone up throught my steel core safety and being upside down I would have landed on my head on the 1000 lb. log.

Latest posts

Back